~17~

I fell asleep last night on the sofa and was surprised to see I was laying next to stefans freezing cold body. He was moving about and I realised he was having a nightmare, which was understandable with all the stuff going on in his life at the moment.
"Stefan?" He was shuffling and I got on my knees and shook him a bit. He was quick to react, flashing on top of me, clutching my hands above my head in a defensive position.
"Stefan it's just me" he looked me over with a guilty look on his face and mumbled a apology.
" I was driving to Portland" he said out of the blue
"Pardon?"
"The night I took Silas to the quarry, I said goodbye to Lexi, and then I decided to keep driving west"
"How do you remember-"
"Because my memories are back" he said with a smile on his face. I had a even bigger one and tackled him into a hug.
"This is great! I mean-....yay stefan!" I said as I felt anxious around him for some reason
"There's no reason to be nervous selena I remember you. You looked for me for the whole summer?"
"I couldn't do anything else knowing that you could be dead" I said staring at the sheets with a plain expression. I was about to continue but I was abruptly cut off as Stefan grabbed my chin, tilted my head and pressed his lips on mine. Stefans hands made their way safely on her cheeks, scared she would disappear.
I couldn't believe this was actually happening after so many moments we had shared and situations we had been thrown into I was actually kissing Stefan and I was enjoying it.
"Selena" he whispered my name once we finally pulled apart but my heart raced with the many things that could go wrong
"Stefan we can't do this..."
"Why not?"
"Because I'm not good enough for you. I am a monster Stefan, everybody knows monsters can't change their ways. I can't do that to you" he paused, he hated seeing her talk about herself so self depreciatively. I flashed away in a second and he was left with his own throughly until elena barged in woth coffee in her hands.
—————————————————
"This is not how it's supposed to go selena. I can't just let you leave" stefans said standing in front of my house. He had overheard my convosation with my brothers and he clearly knew of our plans.
"I've already caused enough damage Stefan, letting myself love you would only create more for you and that's the last thing I want"
"You can't leave now, I need you here. I need you to stay with me selena that's what I want. I don't want a trouble free life if it doesn't involve you" he begged, his tone urging me to stay.
"Stefan..."
"Please" I bit my lip as a tear fell down my cheek.
"Promise me something stefan"
"I can't" he said his eyes glassy as he tried to stay strong.
"Promise me that you'll live a happy life without me. Forget about me and live a long and happy life like you deserve. I wish I could be part of it but stefan I don't deserve you"
"I can't promise that" he said his voice cracking mid sentence
"Please stefan" He was quiet for a few seconds but I knew he understood
"I love you" I finally admitted and he wiped his tears away with the back of his hand
"I love you Selena Pierce"
—————————————————
"She....left?" Damon mouth fell open and then was covered with confusion. He had never suspected that Selena Pierce would fall in love especially with his brother but it seemed she cared so much that she let him go. He wished he had half the guts to do that as he could tell she only wanted stefans happiness and she would only cause destruction much like himself to elena.

Damon felt a bit selfish at that point as he was constantly putting elena in danger for loving her. He wouldn't admit it out loud but he was going to miss the sarcastic older heretic who had grown on him.
"She's gone" elena mumbled. She was just as shocked as they were. She had a distaste towards the female but after today's events she found herself thinking of her in a different way.