We'll Always Protect You

The park wasn't any more or less busy than usual after a school day when parents gathered up their children to tire them out and exert pent-up energy from sitting all day in a stuffy classroom. Bakugou had an afternoon shift on patrol, so he'd asked you to pick up Hatsuki and watch her for the afternoon. This particular park was her favorite with a winding slide shaped like an elephant trunk.

It had been three days since the intense conversation you'd had with Eijirou, and neither of you had quite figured out how to approach things with Bakugou. Talk here, speculation there, but nothing concrete. The mere idea of bringing up such a sensitive topic and proposition mingled nerves with the butterflies in your stomach. Maybe you were just waiting for the right time-

"Auntie (y/n)! Watch meee!" Hatsuki's high pitched voice snapped you out of your thoughts as she called out from the playground. Climbing on the monkey bars was one of her favorite things, swinging high in the air like a gymnast until her little arms became tired. With the arrival of her quirk, her palms had started producing the same nitroglycerine-like sweat that her father was known for, which made climbing more difficult. Bakugou's determination to overcome obstacles passed onto his child, however, as she stuck her tongue out to reach the next bar as her fingers nearly slipped off the previous one.

"Be careful!" you called out as you tapped away on your phone to Eijirou who was also on patrol. Scrolling through the text messages which could have measured a kilometer long by this point if laid one right after the other, you saw a picture of Hatsuki he'd sent you a while back when she wanted to play dress up. Smiling, you titled up your phone and snapped a photo of Hatsuki on the bars just before she fell to the sand-covered ground on her hands and knees. "You alright? Better not let those bars defeat you!"

Hatsuki stood up, brushed the sand from her knees, and puffed out her chest with her hands on her hips looking every bit like her father day-by-day. "I'M TOUGH!" she cried with an unbreakable smile that warmed your heart like hot chocolate on a fall day. You sent the picture to both Eijirou and Bakugou.

He was always missing out on these small moments with his daughter because of how ridiculously busy and demanding Hero schedules were, so you thought it was important to send him pictures and videos whenever you remembered to take them so he could be there in spirit and watch her grow in his absence.

As Hatsuki chased after one of her friends from school to go climb up to the slide - the type that burned the backs of your thighs from sitting in the afternoon sun too long... someone screamed.

Immediately, you were on high alert as you looked around to see if anyone was hurt. "Villain...VILLAIN!" Someone warned as they ran from one side of the park to the other. Children paused to look off towards the street. Parents rushed forward to find their children. Was there a Hero nearby? How dangerous was this villain? What were they after? Your body moving as you tried to process the scene, you called out Hatsuki's name.

"Hatsuki?... Hatsuki, we have to go!" You looked towards the elephant slide: empty, her blonde hair nowhere to be seen as people scurried around you. Time slowed, the movements of everyone around you sluggish as though moving through water as your chest tightened and eyes grew wide. You couldn't find her, and the horrid thought of not knowing where she was short-circuited your brain as fear and panic overwhelmed you. "Hatsuki, where are you?!"

A shadow, tall and writhing, caught in your peripheral vision. No time to think, just act. You'd been over safety and evacuation measures with Eijirou enough times to know what to do and where to go in case of an emergency, but you had to find Hatsuki first. Surely, her dad had told her a similar plan in such an emergency, but you had no idea how that plan compared to the one you knew.