Chapter 13

Jane was jostled from a world of cool, quiet darkness. "Jane. Janie, can you hear me?" a voice asked as a hand shook her shoulder. She heard her mother's voice for a moment before her eyelids fluttered open to find Ernest standing over her. "Something's wrong."

She sat up and removed her blanket, having slept in her dress clothes. "What?"

"Washington is gone."

"What?" She retrieved her shoes from the floor. "What do you mean, gone?"

"I don't mean, like, obliterated. The detonation has moved to Atlanta."

"So? Half the time, it's in Atlanta."

"That's only after we make changes. After we pinpointed the Atlanta explosion, I ran a quick check on Washington again, making sure everything lined up. I couldn't sleep, so I figured I'd not waste any more time and take another look, see if they got any results. It was Memorial Day, and everything's focused on Atlanta. I asked you what happened and you said they stopped the first attack with information from us. We're locked into Atlanta."

"Maybe that just means that somewhere in the future, we trust them."

"It doesn't work that way. The timeline doesn't change unless something happened. I was awake the whole time, and you were in the room with me, so I don't think they could have come in and drugged us or something. Graham said he destroyed all the hard drives with the information and that there shouldn't be any digital trace, so someone must have told them."

"Deanna."

"She wouldn't do that. She knows how important this is."

"If it was any of us turned Judas, it was her. She'd sell us out for a bag of candy."

"No, she wouldn't, and I don't even know if she likes candy. Chocolate, yes, but--"

"The point is, if it was any of us, it was her. They put the slightest pressure on her, and she'd squeal to save her own hide. Guaranteed. I know that woman. You really don't."

"I don't believe that. She may be erratic, but she's done a lot of good at personal risk."

"She did so when she knew her freedom or her life was assured. The second the slightest real risk appeared, she was out the door like a brat out of hell. That's who she is."

"Maybe there's another explanation."

With her jacket back on, Jane headed to the door. "Well, we're about to find out."

***

"What did you all do?"

Callie raised an eyebrow at Jane's appearance. The woman had entered, barking her question to all those in earshot. Herse was not accustomed to having people shout at him, but Callie expected a degree of acquiescence with their guests. He answered, "I'm sorry?"

"Something's happened; something changed. The event is locked into Atlanta."

"And this has to do with us how?"

"According to Ernest, this happened since we left."

"We sent a report to our supervisors about the impending attack."

"That can't be all. Threats must come in all the time. Did you find out where it is or not?"

"You told us neither the when nor the where."

"Did anyone else tell you anything?"

"You mean from your group? No. That was part of the deal, and we honor our deals."