Go Home

The clock ticking on Yamaguchi's bedside table followed his panicked motions around the room. He had overslept and school began in less than half an hour. Usually if he wasn't up 10 minutes after his alarm ran, his mother would come and wake him before she left for work, but she had gone to Tokyo for a few days for her work, as well as to catch up with a few old friends. He had managed to shower and get dressed already, and was now trying to find Tsukishima's jacket that he believed he draped over his study chair to dry. His head was throbbing from all the frantic movements, and he decided to take a look downstairs while he grabbed Paracetamol from his kitchen.

Relief washed over him with the site of Tsukishima's jacket spread out on his couch. He must have misremembered where he left it to dry. He grabbed his medicine from the kitchen cabinet and swallowed a tablet with water. His throat was beginning to feel scratchy too; he hoped it would kick in soon.

Making it to school with a few minutes left to spare, he smiled as he waved to his blond friend, "Hiii Tsukiiiii!" A coughing fit caught him by surprise, and he quickly covered his mouth with his sleeve. Tsukishima seemed to have a glimmer of worry in his eye, something that no one but Yamaguchi would be able to pick up. "I'm fine! I took some medicine this morning, I should be all good and healthy in an hour's time".

Tsukishima ruffled his eyebrows, "Do you feel hot? Do you have a face mask?" He leaned over to touch Yamaguchi's forehead. Yamaguchi flinched from the sudden cold against his skin. Tsukishima reached into his bag to pull out a face mask, "You have a fever, here."

Yamaguchi reluctantly accepted the face mask and put it on. It smelled like Tsuki, "Oh! I almost forgot, your jacket". He handed him the jacket slung over his arm.

Tsukishima took the jacket and was about to swing it over his shoulder, and hesitated, before slowly bringing it up to his nose, "Lavender. Your scent. You washed it?". Yamaguchi nodded shyly and smiled. He was flattered to hear that Tsukishima recognised his lavender scented fabric softener.

The two of then made their way to their first class and at first, everything seemed fine. Class went on as usual, they both sat at the back of the class, Yamaguchi raising his hand only when he was absolutely certain of his answer, and Tsukishima ignoring the questions altogether. The bell rang indicating their short break before the next class, and the two boys whispered about students in the class.

Their next class was Japanese. Despite being decent at the subject, Yamaguchi seemed to be less engaged than usual. Tsukishima looked over to his right and watched as Yamaguchi rubbed the side of his head, as if he was in pain. He closed his eyes for long periods at a time, but he didn't seem tired. Perhaps he was feeling nauseous. By the time the end of class rolled around, Tsukishima could tell he was no longer able to pay attention; he could see a flutter of pink showing above his mask, his face was hot.

The bell rang once more and it was the first long break of the day. Yamaguchi didn't put away his books immediately like he usually did. Tsukishima had had enough. After packing away his own things, he leaned over to his friends table and packed up his things for the whole day. Yamaguchi mustered up a confused look, but Tsukishima remained silent. He finally zipped up his friends bag and got up from his seat. He took Yamaguchi's hand and pulled him up from his chair.

Yamaguchi had the strength to stand, but he felt his head spin the second he took a step forward. He instinctively placed his hand on Tsukishima's shoulder to stabilise himself, but Tsukishima took his arm and placed across both of his shoulders, so he could burden some of the weight.

The two of them walked down to the school medic and Tsukishima explained that Yamaguchi wasn't feeling well. The nurse told Yamaguchi to lay on the bed for a bit to see if he feels any better after 15 minutes, before turning to Tsukishima to inform him that if the condition doesn't improve she will contact his parents. "Shes currently in Tokyo"

"Then we will contact his Emergency Contact, thank you for bringing him in".

Tsukishima gave a short bow and left the room. He decided to walk over to the gym hall, he was certain he would be able to find his teammates there. He wasn't too keen on talking to anyone besides Yamaguchi, but the team was better than anyone else he knew in the school.

Inside, Hinata and Kageyama could be heard yelling endlessly at one another. From what he could gather between swears and insults, Hinata had told Kageyama that strawberry milk tasted the best, which seemed to be a bad move on his part. Tsukishima rolled his eyes at the pair and watched as Suga made his way over from his own group that was sitting outside the gym to greet him, "Hey Tsukishima! How come you're over here? Where's Yamaguchi? Did you guys have a fight? Oh my god what happened? Do you want me to explain how an apology works?"

Sugawara was being his normal, nosey, protective self. Tsukishima gently shook his head, "He's in the medical bay, he has a fever". After hearing this news, Suga immediately began asking about details on his symptoms, and without waiting for a reply from Tsukishima, began listing a number of herbal medicines he knew for treating a fever.

The ring of his phone saved Tsukishima's ears from ringing after listening to all of Sugawara's ranting. He reached into his pocket and noticed that it was from an unsaved number. He excused himself from Suga's conversation and picked up, "Hello?"

"High this is Reichi calling from Karasuno High School. Yamaguchi Tadashi has come down with a fever and you have been listed as an emergency contact. Would you be able to pick him up?"

Tsukishima was taken aback. Sure, Yamaguchi doesn't have any extended family living close by, but he didn't expect to be his first emergency contact.

He informed the school he would be there in a few minutes and hung up. He looked back at Suga, who was typing something on his phone. "I have to go take Yamaguchi home, I'll try one of your remedies", he said, you know, like a liar. There was not a single part of Tsukishima that believed herbal medicine worked better than prescribed medication, but he didn't want another lecture from Sugawara.

Before he could tell the grey haired boy goodbye, he got interupted by another one of Suga's outbursts, "Fantastic! I'll call you guys an Uber, Yamaguchi shouldn't be walking too much if he's sick"

"You really don't ha-"

Suga smiled as he interrupted him once more, "I already did!"

"Brilliant". Tsukishima turned without a good bye this time. He made his way over to the medical bay and signed a paper to have Yamaguchi taken home. He picked up his friend's school back and pulled it over his shoulder to carry. Yamaguchi had managed to get up on his own, but his mind still spun like a ride at a fair, so he held onto Tsukishima's shoulder for stability.

This was going to be a long day.

A/N:
Next chapter will be out within the next 2 hours so make sure to check back in soon!

Hope everyone is doing okay today, especially those involved with the Black Lives Matter Protests. Please stay safe everyone, especially with the new orders given to the police about being able to shoot.

Remember, if you dont side with BLM, you're siding with the killers.

If you want to support the movement, please do your research. There are plently of petitions to sign that could really help out, there are plently of places to donate too.

As awful as this all is, I hope it can help create a future where all are equal.