Impulse

Tsukishima rummaged around Yamaguchi's bag, trying to find the key to his house. Yamaguchi stood with his eyes closed as his friend unlocked the door for him. His face was red and his body was hot. Occasionally, he winced when a sharp pain would shoot through his head. His whole body ached in fact. Allowing his eyes to open, he glanced at Tsukishima, who looked worried. But, with the headache he had, he could've easily imagined it.

The click of the door opening signaled Yamaguchi to walk in. He barely made it up the stairs, with Tsuki walking behind him - just in case. Tsukishima put the sick boy in his bed, and went back downstairs to search for a thermometer. It wasn't hard to find. He was at Yamaguchi's house frequently, and by process of elimination, he figured out where they kept the medication box.

He took the thermometer upstairs, along with a Paracetamol and a glass of water. He opened the door to Yamaguchi's room, his eyes doing their best to look away from the half dressed boy he had walked in on. "Yam- What on earth are you doing?"

"Dressing in my pyjamas. My uniform is dirty and my pyjamas have little stars on them!". Yamaguchi was out of it. It seemed like the fever had taken away his filter, and he no longer thought before he spoke. If Yamaguchi wasn't shivering right now, Tsukishima would have almost been amused.

Yamaguchi continued to undress, not caring about Tsukishima's presence in the room. Tsuki felt his own face begin to heat up, although he wasn't sure why. He saw Yamaguchi change after practice all the time, so why did it feel different now?

He placed the glass of water, medicine, and thermometer on the bedside table and turned away as Yamaguchi finished changing. Suddenly, he felt himself being pulled backwards by his arm. Yamaguchi had pulled Tsukishima off balance, landing him a seat beside him. He pointed to his unbuttoned pyjama shirt, forcing Tsukishima to stare at his surprisingly toned body. He may be a pinch server, but Tsukishima had almost forgotten that Yamaguchi worked just as hard as the other players, including strength exercises.

Tsukishima put his hand over his mouth and jaw. What was happening? Why did this feel so intimidating to him. Even volleyball matches didn't waver his confidence anymore, so why did this make him feel so nervous all of a sudden?

"I can't do up my buttons, they keep wobbling around" pouted Yamaguchi. This was new. Yamaguchi almost never whined to Tsukishima. He always mimicked Tsukishima's carefree lifestyle. He could remember that on occasion he had seen Yamaguchi complain, but never had he seen him whine. It was lame, but hilarious.

Tsukishima did up Yamaguchi's buttons without a word. The boy was totally out of it and there was no point in holding a conversation, he would forget it by the time morning rolled around.

Just as he was about to get up, Yamaguchi daringly placed his hand on Tsukishima's thigh. Tsukishima flinched. Today seemed to be full of surprises, "What are you-"

Yamaguchi suffled aside and pat the space beside him on the bed, "Sleep with me, I can't sleep by myself"

"First of all, its 1 in the afternoon, and second, I'm not sleeping with you, you're sick" declared Tsukishima.

Yamaguchi frowned. He looked Tsukishima up and down, before meeting eyes with his. "Oh come on, why is life so unfair. Why can't you just love me back for once?"

Tsukishima's eyes widened. "Love you... back?"

"Yeah! There is no one I respect more than you, you're so composed, so honest, and so, well, handsome" Yamaguchi looked away as he confessed. "I keep getting my hopes up that maybe you'll feel the things I feel, but all I'll ever be to you is a friend. I guess I should be grateful, though. I would rather be a friend than a stranger".

Tsukishima didn't know what to say. This was happening. He didn't know what to feel. This was genuine.

Part of him felt relief. Although, he wasn't sure for what. The other part of him felt scared, intimidated. Love was a dangerous weapon, and Yamaguchi had given him his.

Tsukishima took Yamaguchi's hand off of his thigh and stood up. He pointed to the medication on the desk, "take 2 tablets every 4 hours and you should be fine by the time school rolls around". He was grateful that today was friday, and that he could use the weekend to think about what happened.

He didn't want to leave Yamaguchi on his own, but he felt awkward intruding in his house like this. He walked to the edge of the bed and looked at the boy. Yamaguchi was getting tired; he watched Tsukishima through half-lidded eyes as he laid on the bed.

Without thinking, Tsukishima leaned down and left a small kiss on the sick boy's forehead. "This better not make me sick" he announced, before finally leaving for home.