Chapter 1

Alex's POV

How can I start this story. Where do I start? There's so much to tell and yet I can't find a way to say it. How do you explain something so complicated and long and still make sense, I've never been good at storytelling but with this particular one I have to at least try.

One year ago.

My alarm clock woke me up. I found myself all alone in this big apartment once again. My parents sent me to New York when I was sixteen because I wasn't what they wanted me to be, I wasn't like my brother James. Their world was full of fake people and fake things and when I tried to be real they couldn't handle it so as soon as I arrived here I changed my name to Alex Fields and that's all everyone needed to know about my family, that's all I wanted them to know. The only person that knew who I really was, is Emily, my best friend who I'm supposed to pick up today for our first day of school and Mr. Hastings, our principal but I asked him not to say my real name to students nor teachers.

My grandmother and my brother are the only ones that support me, I haven't seen them in years but at least I talk to them on the phone. They send me a generous amount of money each month and make sure I have everything I need.

I get to pick which school I go to and what to do with the money as long as I study. At first my mother didn't like me going to a public school since she went to the most prestigious private school in France and so did my father and brother, but then she just gave up on me. If I wanted to forget about my family and everything I left behind, I would have to start with the simplest of things.

I got out of bed and looked at myself in the mirror, my messy blonde hair was all over the place and I still had some makeup from last night. Everyday I woke up and the person looking back at me was the shadow of someone that I used to know and used to feel proud of. I examined my features and hated how much I resembled my parents. My eyes were the same shape as my father's, my mouth and my nose on the other hand reminded me of my mother's.

I ran my hand over my cheeks, my nose and finally settled on my eyes, I still -to this day- couldn't tell if they were blue or green. They were the only thing that didn't remind me of my parents because I had, like everyone used to tell me, my grandmother's eyes. I had dark circles this morning, probably a result of the party I went to last night.

"Ms. Fields, breakfast is ready" I heard Rose say.

Rose is the woman who helps me in the house. She cooks, cleans, goes grocery shopping and sometimes when I have nightmares she comes and stays with me assuring me that everything was going to be ok, she's the closest thing to a mother I have. My real mother calls her a maid though, I hate it when she does that, I am so not like my family, the only one that gets me is my grandmother Cece, her name is Claude, but I call her Cece since I could talk. She comes to visit sometimes, mostly for my birthday, which is soon.

"Thank you Rosie, I'll be there in a minute." I replied.

I ate breakfast and got ready. I applied my makeup and made sure I covered those dark circles. I decided to wear some capri jeans and a white blouse with a cream white jacket that had purple stripes.

When I was done I ate breakfast as quickly as I could and went to the garage of our building to get on my motorcycle.

Traffic was not terrible this morning, considering I lived in the upper east side, so I got to Emily's house pretty quickly and my mind went back to when I first met her. That memory is one of the few things that can make me laugh.

"Hey bitch." Emily greeted me, she's so sweet.

She was already waiting for me in the coffee shop next to her house so I lifted the visor of my helmet and greeted her. "Good morning sunshine."