Chapter 14

"Hi Shrewclaw", Featherstorm meowed with  a polite dip of her silver head to the dark brown tom in front of her.

The tom growled showing no signs of friendship. Snakeslash and Shadepaw were behind him.  Shadepaw's dark fur bristled as she hissed.

"You three need to leave. This is now ShadeClan's territory", Snakeslash growled.  The dark tabby's fur was standing up and his ears were flat as he took a threatening step forwards.

"Get back on your side",  Lionfur spat.  The golden tom unsheathed his claws and hissed. 

"Get some cats", Featherstorm whispered to Mintnose.  The light gray tom nodded and left at top speed.

"Attack!", Snakeslash yowled. 

Featherstorm leaped on top of Shrewclaw and lashed her claws down the tom's flank. The dark brown tom rolled with the impact, bringing her down with him.  Shadepaw waa fighting against Lionfur while Snakeslash was nowhere to be found.  Cats suddenly poured out of ShadeClan territory with Snakeslash at its head. 

'Oh StarClan no!' Featherstorm thought to herself as Shrewclaw pinned her down.

Another yowl sounded and a patrol of OakClan cats rushed upon the arrivals.  Breezeclaw was now beside his daughter and was helping her fight off Shrewclaw.  Father and daughter chased the warrior away. One by one the enemy was retreating.

"Retreat!", the deputy yowled as he realized very few ShadeClan cats were there.

Once Wingfeather and his Clan left, Stonepelt turned to the patrol.

"We won!" he yowled.

The Clan went home with cheerful mews.  Featherstorm was nearing the entrance when suddenly bursting out of camp was Sunstrike.

"Flickerstar is dead!", she yowled. 

The golden queen had lost her mate forever.

                               ..................................................................................

Stonestar stood on the rock with a commanding stance.  Flickerstar had been dead for a moon now.  Thornkit and his siblings had become apprentices. She had gotten Thornpaw as an apprentice. Pride surged through Featherstorm at being able to teach her mentor's kit.

"I hope that we get to go hunting soon", the golden-brown warrior meowed.

Smokeclaw was beside her and was purring but sadness was in his gaze as well.

"I wish our destinies were different", she meowed with a sigh. 

Smokeclaw dipped his head without a word and raced past her to talk to Dawnmist. Featherstorm sighed and Thornpaw looked up at her with wide eyes.  

"Let's go", Dawnmist was meowing to Featherstorm and waving her tail. "You're coming with us. Bring Thornpaw along."

Featherstorm couldn't just wait for the patrol to be over with. Smokeclaw was already ignoring her and at the Gathering he stayed away. 

"Things will never be the same" she hissed to herself.

Featherstorm ran into Thrushpelt and and Shrewclaw.  Shrewclaw glared at her and stalked off while Thrushpelt watched. Sneezefang had padded past  them and dipped his head to the silver OakClan she-cat. Hopclaw sat down beside the group.

"Where's Streamtail?", a light brown tom asked.  His gaze traveled over the group of warriors.

"She went to to go talk to Mintnose and Heatherpelt", Hopclaw responded.