11. "Do I look okay?"

"Leave me alone evie, you won't understand" jay says, not turning around or stopping. "Oh yeah?" she asks "Try me." Jay shook his head and turned to face her. "My mum and dad are splitting up" he says, as she got closer to him. "Oh.." she trailed off, she didn't expect that. "See. You don't understand" he goes to turn around but Evie stopped him. "Let me take a guess" she says, acting as if she was guessing and pondering. "You're annoyed that they weren't just honest with you, you're confused because you thought everything was going to be fine and they were going to work it out and finally, you're scared because you don't know what is going to happen next" she says, letting out what she had felt years prior. "Oh" he sighs. "Yeah oh. It's just me my mom and ej in our house, my dad took off a while ago" Evie shrugs. "Does it...does it get any easier?" Jay asks, his voice low and soft. "What's easier? Does the hurt and confusion go away? Mostly, it's still there. Do you grow to understand it? Yeah" she smiled. "Will it be okay?" he asks. "I don't know that Jay, I do know I'm here for you, and I do know you should be with your brother"

Evie lay on her bed, talking to gina via FaceTime. "So I have yet another thing to tell you" Gina sighs. "Go on, spill" Evie says, her mind working at 10 miles a minute. "EJ isnt home is he?" She asks. "No, went out to try to talk to Nini" Evie shrugs. "Speaking of ej-" gina started, but naturally evie interrupted. "Why is it always speaking of ej? Oh yeah, because you like him" Evie smirks. "This isn't going to go well for me" Gina mutters. "Go on" Evie keeps her smirk, intrigues. "I'm going to persuade ej to take me to homecoming" Gina says reluctantly. Evie wants to squeal. "Ahhh! You. and. ej. together!" she exclaims. "It's just to get us the leads, and him to get the girl" Gina rolls her eyes. "But still" Evie smirks. "Now you come in" Gina returns her friends smirk. "What what?" Evie rolls over so she was fully facing her. "You need to get a date and come with us, I don't want it to be awkward" Gina says. Evie thinks about it for a second, and reluctantly she sighed. "You're lucky you're my best friend porter"

Jay couldn't take anymore of being on big reds floor. He grabbed his things and left, he needed to go to someone who understood him. So he took the risk, knocking on the caswells door. A woman answered, giving him a confused but 'I recognise you' look. "Hello, do I know you?" she asked. "I'm a friend of Evies, could I please talk to her?" he asked. Thats where she recognised him from, evie had a photo of them on her wall. "Of course, one second" she smiled, turning away and walking to the stairs. "Eves, there's a boy at the door for you!"

Evie walked down, and smiled when she saw who It was. "He's cute" her mom whispered in her ear as she busied herself into the kitchen. "You okay?" she asked, ignoring her mother. "What do you define as okay?" he asks, putting his bag down as she gestured to the couch. Evie just shrugs, giving him a sad smile. "I mean I was staying at big reds with Ricky but I just couldn't take it and I have no where else to go. I can't handle going back home so could I maybe possibly stay here?" he asks. "Sure, I mean I'd have to check with mom, but she's cool" she smiled, getting up to go and find her mom. "Mom, jays parents have..um...just told him they're splitting up and he needs a place to stay?" she asks, getting awkward. "he can take the couch, tell him he's welcome's anytime" her mother smiled, he seemed like a nice boy, from what evie had said anyways.

"You can take the couch" she smiled. "Honey, thing will get better, I'll just go and get you some pillows and a blanket" evies mom smiled. "Thank you" jay smiled. They sat in a comfortable silence, evie reaching out and squeezing his hand. "Evie?" he asked into the silence. "Yeah?" she smiled. "Do you remember what happened when...you know?" he asked. "ish, I was like nine, maybe ten. They just told me that dad was going to go away, he told me he still loved me, then he left. And now I haven't seen him for ages. I don't speak to him much anymore, I don't want to. I don't care anymore, he didn't want me then so be it" Evie sighs. "Did it change any other relationships?" Jay wanted to know what was going to happen next. "Yeah, I guess, I'm a-lot closer to ej now, like I talk to him a lot more and we can have fun, you know. Then I've always been close to my mum and that's just been that" she shrugs. "So, will it be okay?" he asks. Evie just takes his hands and gives him a shrug. "Do I look okay?" she asks. "I mean, on the surface you look perfectly happy" he says. "Exactly, inside is a whole different story, but keep your family you have close, and keep your friends around, its the best you can do" she smiles. "Do you count as my friend?" he asks, a smirk slightly arising on his lips. "I'm the best one you've got Bowen" she smiles, wrapping her arms around his neck. He smiled, holding her close.

"You know that friends do each other favours right?" she asks as they pull away. "I am aware, yes" he says. "So do you think you could maybe possibly do one for me?" she asks. "How big of a favour are we talking?" he questions, seeing the look in her eye. "Do you think you could maybe possibly take me to homecoming?"