7. You're My Number One

7. You're My Number One: Xander's Pov

*9281 words

(a few weeks later)

"Hey, sweetheart," I greet Charlotte with a smile when she picks up my FaceTime call. "What are you up to?"

"Walking." she answers, looking around as if she's lost.

"Where to?"

"The t-training center." she tells me, still seeming like she's trying to find which direction to follow. "I'm bringing Brody lunch.. I don't think I know where it is though."

"Where are you at right now?"

I proceed to give her directions to the pack training center, mind-linking the wolves working the front desk to let me know when she gets there safe. "I packed you food too." she says, showing me the medium-sized tote she's carrying. "Brody is teaching a cl-class right now so I'm just gonna drop off his."

"I can get a pack-member to drive you." I offer, knowing it's going to take her a little while to walk to the training center to drop off Brody's lunch, then to the administrative building I'm currently at.

"No, it's okay. I like walking." she declines. "It's nice out today too."

"Are you sure?" I prompt again. "You don't have to walk everywhere."

"I don't have to walk, I get to walk." she corrects me.

Our conversation ends a few minutes later when I get another call, but I tell her to come to my office when she gets to the administrative building so I can see her. I got her a phone about two weeks ago after she kept going out alone during the day. Because she still isn't able to mind-link without looking at the person she's trying to message, we heavily rely on our phones to communicate. I taught her to use Find My Friends not only so I can know where she is during the day, but also so she knows how to find me and anyone else when she needs to. Two or three times a week, Charlotte will come visit me at work and we'll spend lunch together. Having each other's locations has also allowed me to easily find her if I get off of work later in the evening while she's out and about.

I've put a lot more effort into rearranging my work schedule so that I get to spend more time with my mate. This doesn't mean the times we see each are regular, but we make it work. If I have to leave early in the morning, we'll spend lunch together and time in the evening as well. When I'm gone for a majority of the day, I'll text or call Charlotte when I can just to get some contact in. Dr. Kelly said that being around each other more often has been helping significantly with Charlotte's healing, and her progress has been noticed by everyone in the pack.

She's closer to a healthy weight, more comfortable with pack-life, and is just stronger overall. She no longer trembles when she walks or struggles to carry things. Of course, there's still things like sleeping soundly throughout the night and efficiently mind-linking that she's unable to do, but there's been overall improvement nonetheless. However, her amnesia and lack of heightened senses seem to be the main things that haven't seen changes.

It's still hard for her to recognize people by their scent, including me. She also can't see clearly in the dark like other wolves or pick up on sounds as well. This makes her even more vulnerable than she already is, which concerns me greatly. I have former members of the search team mind-linking me when see Charlotte anywhere alone and they always check up on her by having a short conversation. She's still oblivious to the fact that everyone is concerned when she's out and about by herself, but she's been putting in effort in trying to be more aware of her surroundings.

I think about arranging for her to be driven to the administrative building, but decide against it when I remember that she genuinely enjoys walking places. It's little freedoms like being able to travel on her own that she values. Even though I would much rather her have a chauffeur to take her around, I know she's happier without one.