11. Therapy

11. Therapy: Charlotte's Pov

(three days later)

"It's okay to be nervous." Brody tells me as he parks the car. "I was angry when I first started going. Evelyn made me try it when I started getting out of control."

I raise my head to look at him, wondering what he means by 'out of control'.

"It was really hard for me when Mom and Dad died. I was the only family you had left and we weren't making any progress with finding you. I was constantly frustrated and irritable to the point where I'd even snap at Xander's family." he explains. "I felt alone and took it out on everyone around me."

"You aren't alone." I whisper, reaching over to squeeze his arm. It hurts me to know that Brody felt that way; the same way I felt when I was in Red Stone.

"I learned that with time." he nods. "Same goes for you, Char. You're never alone."

My hands start shaking the closer we get to the office, something Brody notices and tries to help with by telling me stories about his good experiences with therapy.

I made the decision to try it out because the idea was brought up again at my most recent appointment with Dr. Kelly and I got the impression that everyone wanted me to. I'm not entirely too sure what therapy is suppose to help me with or if there's some kind of specific outcome everyone is expecting, but I figured I might as well try it. Xander and Brody said I can stop any time I like if I don't find benefit in the experience.

"I'm proud of you for going." Brody tells me when we get to the door, knowing I don't like to discuss my past. His words a lot to me. I've never had anyone be proud of me before.

I give him a brief hug to show my appreciation. He kisses me on the side of my head before opening the door for me, waiting until I'm fully inside before turning to leave.

I walk up to the front desk to check-in for my appointment, a pack-member immediately coming to guide me to the private room. I'm not sure if I'm too used to people being polite, but I'm taken aback when the man in the room simply snaps his fingers for me to take a seat across from his desk without even introducing himself.

"I-I'm Charlotte-"

"Don't bother speaking if you aren't going to do it correctly." he cuts me off, dismissing my introduction and not accepting my attempt to shake hands.

I slowly and awkwardly sit down in the chair opposite of him, my cheeks feeling hot from embarrassment. I've never been called out on my stutter before. It's not something I feel I can control, but I didn't think it was that bad; I guess I was wrong.

As a heavy silence weighs down on the room, I scan the room for a name plate or anything else that can help me put a name to this man. I'd feel a little more comfortable if I at least have something to call him by. "Do you know why you're here?" he asks accusingly, almost as if he's implying that there's something wrong with me that I need fixed. I mean, that kind of is why I'm here, but he's making it seem like I'm lesser because I'm seeking help.

I shake my head when I'm unable to come up with a good answer, more afraid of getting the question wrong and being ridiculed for it.

**TRIGGER WARNING**

"You're here because you're incapable of coping with your past." I follow him with my eyes as he goes to lock the door, my wolf stirring uncomfortably at the situation. It hasn't even been five minutes and I already feel uneasy, but I'm not sure if my fear is irrational or not. I don't know if this is how therapy is suppose to go or if something is actually wrong.