Ch V - A Promise

Mr. Stark, Jarvis said. You have a call from Director Fury.

"Finally." Tony set down the blow torch in his hand, flipping up the face plate. "Don't touch anything while I'm gone," he told the mechanical arm, Dum-E. "With luck, you'll burn down my tower."

Tony walked down the stairs from his lab to the living area. A holographic screen flickered into view, displaying the director of SHIELD.

"You must be so busy being a director, it takes you a whole day to return a call!" Tony mocked, a slight frown on his features.

"I would tell you to try leading, but I'd prefer the world to not explode," Fury retorted.

Before a full blown yelling match could ensue, Steve walked in. "We can talk about time management later. For now, let's answer each other's questions."

Tony frowned but obliged. "How did HYDRA get their hands on the Tesseract?"

Fury sighed, "The Tesseract was in transport to a new facility, one that can easily study it better. It seems that HYDRA knew the route the truck was taking. They attacked and stole it. Any other questions?"

"Was it worth nearly getting Agent Jackson killed?" Tony growled.

"That," Fury stated and Tony nodded. "You know that the Tesseract is a very powerful and important asset-"

Tony cut him off, "And Percy isn't?! He is just a kid! He doesn't deserve this life! He doesn't deserve to die!"

"But he didn't, did he?!" Fury stopped Tony in his tracks. "Agent Jackson chose this. He chose to join SHIELD, to risk his life every day for the safety of this world."

Steve sighed. "We can't control Percy's decisions, but we can our own. It isn't worth our energy to fight about this." He crossed his arms, "What is, though, is helping our teammate. Our friend. Thor has gone to Asgard to get help from their doctors. We can pull through this."

After a long moment of silence, Tony said, "Do you write these speeches down before you say them or do you just pull them out of your ass?"

"Language!" came Natasha's voice from the other side of the room.

Steve sighed at how childish his team was as Tony laughed and Fury cracked the smallest of smiles. At least they lightened the mood.

----------

Thor marched down the halls of Asgard, frightening anyone who passed, and came to a stop in front of the doors to the throne room. He held his head higher in preparation of seeing his father then nodded to the guards to open the doors.

They opened into the golden throne room, lined with columns that ended in a raised platform. Atop sat the throne of the king and the Allfather himself, dressed in his battle armor and holding the staff, Gungnir.

Thor strode down the red carpet and came to a bow in front of his father.

"Rise, my son," Odin commanded. "Tell me, why have you requested my council?"

Thor stood, "Father, I have come to request aid. A teammate and friend of mine has been severely injured. Midgardian science cannot heal him."

"You were hoping I would lend you a healer," Odin finished for him.

The Thunderer nodded.

"You are lucky, my son. We happen to be having a slow day. We can spare a healer for your mortal friend."

----------

The guards were having another boring day. Standing in constant attention, their heavy and horned helmets weighing their heads down. The two wished they had gotten the throne room today, instead of the dungeons. Why they had gambled away the good spot, they didn't know.