Chapter 59

The group arrived at the double doors of the great hall and entered in a procession when the guards opened the doors for them. Loki and Sigyn strode to the head table first, walking together like the royal couple they were. All eyes were on them as they glided to the front of the room with a grace that Peter and Tony could only dream of. Thor didn't care enough to try. He walked like the warrior he was, not with the fluidity of royalty, but with the easy-going stride of a trained warrior and a friend to the people. Thor didn't meet anyone that he couldn't befriend, no matter the realm. Loki was the complete opposite, one had to earn Loki's friendship, but once they had that friendship and loyalty, they had it for life.

Loki led Sig to her place at the head table and pulled out her chair for her, kissing her cheek as he seated her. He was ever the doting fiancé, and the court, while they thought him a dark prince most of the time, adored him and Sigyn together.

Peter sat on Sigyn's other side and Tony sat next to Thor. Peter looked like he was absolutely at home on Asgard, while Tony was awed by the richly decorated hall and the court staring at him. He was now the only mortal, the only Midgardian on the entire realm. Even Tony, used to the spotlight being on him, wasn't used to that much spotlight.

"Does everything have to be so... gold?" Tony asked Thor while he looked over all the decorations. Everything was decorated in rich gold and the court in brightly colored outfits.

Thor laughed "It's a symbol of our wealth and power," he told his friend, amused at the question. Tony was finally starting to realize what he was getting himself into being on Asgard.

Tony looked down the table to where Peter was talking with Sigyn. Peter looked so animated and so much better and above all, he looked like he belonged on Asgard. He fit in among the Asgardians in a way that Tony could never hope to. Tony didn't understand how, and while he was a bit jealous, he was glad that Peter would be alright.

The entire court stood, and Thor dragged Tony to his feet alongside him. Thor was in charge of Tony and making sure the Midgardian didn't make a fool out of himself. Peter was being babysat by Loki and Sigyn, but they didn't need to worry about him, he remembered his manners from the last time he was on Asgard.

Before Tony could demand an explanation of what was going on, Odin entered the great hall with Frigga on his arm, gungnir was in his hand. He was looking his most formal and terrifying, despite Frigga, the gentle queen and goddess of family, in her golden gown next to him. Loki stiffened and his court mask settled into place before his adopted father could see his fear. Before Sigyn or Thor could sense it. Before Peter could worry.

Loki knew how to read Odin by then, knew how to read his moods and temper. Odin was pissed already and things were only going to get worse. Loki could feel it, it was nearly palpable in the air.

Odin and Frigga processed to the head table with the court bowing to them as they passed. Hugin and Munin flew before them and perched on stands behind Odin's throne-like chair. Odin looked over his children and their guests. He nodded to his sons in greeting and his sons returned the gesture.

Loki couldn't help seeing the distaste in Odin's eye when he looked at Stark. He paled at the look Odin gave Peter. He wanted to flee with Peter at that look and get his blood brother to safety. Odin wouldn't hurt Peter in front of the court. Loki knew that much. He had a little time.

Odin wouldn't hurt Peter. He couldn't. Peter was a citizen of Asgard now. He was under Odin's protection.

But then again, Loki was supposed to be as well. And Loki was a prince and still not safe.

Odin seated Frigga before he took his place next to her. He didn't comment about Peter, though his rage radiated off of him in waves. He looked at Loki before the meal truly started. "I will see you in the throne room after dinner," he informed his adopted son coldly.

Shit.

That was never a good sign.

Loki inclined his head. It was the only thing he could do. "Yes, Father," he replied obediently, hoping this punishment wouldn't be too harsh, and knowing that it would be. Odin would pull out something harsh to try to teach Loki some lesson, or knock him down a peg for no good reason. Loki glanced down the table to Peter. Loki wasn't afraid as to what would happen to him but was afraid of what might happen to Peter. He glanced to Stark and saw the mortal was watching him. He caught Stark's eyes and nodded. Stark nodded back and Loki practically sighed in relief. Tony understood, just as he'd hoped he would.

Tony would get Peter home. As soon as it was seemly. /After dinner, get Stark and Peter out of here. Don't let anyone or anything stop you/ Loki told Sigyn telepathically. He trusted her to get those two back to Midgard, even if she had to bully Heimdall into opening the Bifrost.

If anyone could bully Heimdall into doing anything he wasn't supposed to, it was Sigyn. If she could keep Loki in line, she truly had the power to do anything.

Loki still couldn't eat, knowing that punishment faced him. He moved his food around on his plate, but even looking at it made his stomach roll with anxiety and nausea. Odin was prolonging it, just to torture Loki.

He'd had the same techniques since the boys were children. Loki and Thor both knew his tricks well.

Odin stood the second dinner was over and strode from the great hall to await Loki in the throne room. Loki stood and placed a hand on Peter's shoulder. "You're going home now. No arguing. Stark is going with you. I won't see you hurt,"

"Loki-" Peter started to protest.

Loki gave him a stern look. "Nine," he informed Peter. He wasn't to a ten, not quite, but things were bad. "It will be a seven if I know you're safe,"

Worry filled Peter's eyes, but Sigyn reached over and squeezed his hand. "C'mon, Arachnid. We'll get you and Stark home and Loki will join us in no time," she reassured him gently. Peter nodded and hugged Loki tightly before he let Sig drag him and Tony to the Bifrost to head home.

Loki sighed in relief when they were safe, though his relief was short-lived as knew he had to go to the throne room and find out what Odin had in store for him this time. Thor stood then and came to his side. "I will come with you," he reassured Loki. "This isn't your fault and Father shouldn't punish you for it.

Frigga stood as well. "As will I, my darling. The fault lies just as much with me, as it does with you,"

Loki looked between the two Asgardians who truly loved him and gave them both a wan smile. "Thank you," he said, grateful for their support and love.

They, unlike Odin, cared for him and he had finally grown enough to see it properly.