Chapter 6

Hope cried and it took a moment for Klaus to realize this as he watched Y/N with regret.

Y/N tried to hold back her tears as she said, "No, no, no, no." She picked up the necklace, the charm in her hand. She held the snake in her palm, closing her eyes, hopefully. When she opened them, the snake moved again.

It seemed to recognize Y/N as it sprouted another string, allowing Y/N to reattach the necklace. She put it back around her neck and the magic in the air seemed to suck back into the snake quickly, the eyes of the charm glowing for a moment before flashing away.

Y/N breathed in relief and went to call Rebekah, she dialed the number quickly before Rebekah picked up in a few rings, "Hello? Rebekah, are you and Ethan okay?"

"Yes. Is there something wrong?" She asked. Y/N sighed again, feeling instantly better, "No...I just thought that something might have happened. It's okay, sorry for calling."

"No, it's okay. Ethan and I will be back in a little bit. Call if you need anything." Rebekah said before hanging up. Y/N put her phone back in her pocket and took a second to gather herself so she didn't lash out at Klaus.

Klaus comforted his daughter before he asked, "Why do you need to necklace so bad?" To cover up the guilty feeling in his stomach, he gave a mocking smirk and looked at her.

Y/N looked at him, a glare in her eyes as she said, "Because it's protecting me." She sighed and said softer, "Because it's protecting my son."

Klaus' smirk faltered slightly and he said, "You can't protect him on your own? You are a vampire, aren't you?"

She looked back up at him and spoke, "I am one person. Protecting him isn't the easiest thing to do. And...Mikael might still be looking for us...I can't lose my son."

Klaus smiled dropped immediately, "What would Mikael want with you?"

Y/N looked back up to Klaus and said, "I'm me. And there's my child. I ran from him all those years ago and he's been hunting me ever since, I'm sure."

Klaus was silent for a moment before he finally spoke, "You won't have to worry about Mikael. He's dead."

Y/N's eyes widened, "H...He is?"

Klaus nodded simply, bouncing his daughter in his arms before setting her down again. Y/N smiled a little bit, "We're free..." They'd been running from Mikael for years, running from threat. And to hear that he was now dead, it was liberating. Ethan wouldn't have to be like her, looking over his shoulder to make sure they were safe.

They were free of him.

Klaus couldn't help but smile a little. Everything this 'Y/N' did was overly familiar. He remembered everything, and this all was just so hard to believe. But could she still be alive, after all this time?

There was only one way to find out. All those years ago, there was something Y/N and Klaus had done, just the two of them, that no one else knew about. Not even Elijah. He took a breath and said, "If you really are her, if...What's our secret?"

Y/N looked over at Klaus, a small smile falling over her lips at the thing he'd just brought up. She and Klaus were close friends when they were young. They would go and play in the woods and sometimes they'd do things they weren't supposed to. "When we were kids, we used to sneak off to the wolf villages during the day when everyone else was taking care of their responsibilities. There were a couple kids over there who we would play with until it was time to return home before Mikael found out."

Klaus smiled at her answer, his eyes beginning to well up just enough for anyone to barely see, but they quickly went away before they could fall. Klaus had wrapped his arms around Y/N in a friendly hug. She smiled, remembering the Klaus she'd known all those years ago.