Chapter 2

The annoying sound of an alarm cut through the otherwise quiet morning. Madoka slowly opened her eyes and groaned. Morning already? Madoka stretched and got up. She had to get ready for school.

"How is it going in school, Madoka?" asked her father, Tomohisa Kaname. They were sitting in the kitchen and having breakfast. Madoka's mom, Junko, already left, along with Madoka's younger brother Tatsuya. She had to take him to kindergarten.

"It's... okay?" Madoka smiled nervously. Even though she transferred to Mitakihara two weeks ago, she didn't manage to get close to anyone. She would sometimes talk to two of her classmates - Sayaka Miki and Hitomi Shizuki. She has known them since childhood. They were still close, but something felt off. Madoka blamed America for that. They didn't get along as well as they used to, because after such a long time, they had troubles to reconnect with her. That's normal. Right?

"Are you sure? Let me know if you need help with anything. I know it must be difficult to get used to the old life again, but remember Madoka, we'll always be here for you." Tomohisa smiled at his daughter, as she finished her breakfast. He took her empty plate to wash it.

"Thank you, dad. Everything is okay, really. It's just... Sayaka and Hitomi are different than how I remember them." Madoka said, as she got up from her chair.

"I think they just need time to catch up with you. Have you tried to invite them somewhere? Maybe plan a sleepover?" he suggested, now washing his own empty plate.

Madoka thought about it for a second. Then she smiled brightly. "That's a great idea! I'll ask them today." She wanted to leave, but her dad suddenly stopped her.
"Madoka?"

"What is it, dad? I'm going to be late!"
"Nothing, just... I noticed you're wearing different ribbons than usual. Mom mentioned someone gave them to you at school?"
Madoka ran her fingers through her hair, until she touched one of the ribbons. She smiled.

"Yes, Homura-chan gave them to me the day I transfered. I haven't worn them since that day, but I thought that I could finally thank her. She... honestly, she seemed a bit scary at first, but I'm starting to think it was just my imagination. That day... I was scared of meeting my old classmates. Maybe that fear got to me and I wasn't thinking straight." Madoka explained.

"That makes sense. Make sure to thank her. I've never heard of 'Homura-chan' before, did she transfer sometime before you or is she one of the old classmates?"

"I'm... not sure." Madoka stopped, trying to remember if she ever saw Homura in class, before she moved to America. "Ah! I need to go, or I'll be late! Thanks dad! Have a good day!" Madoka waved him goodbye. Mr. Kaname only smiled and waved back at her. She rushed through the door of their house and ran down the familiar road.

It was a bright sunny day and Madoka was excited about everything. She couldn't wait to talk to her friends. She thought about inviting them for a sleepover at her place, but she would have to ask mom first... She was sure her mom wouldn't mind.

Lost in thought, she almost crashed into a street lamp. "Ah! I have to be more careful." Madoka mumbled and continued, now more focused on getting to school in time.

------

Homura was sitting in front of the school. She sat on the right side of the stairs, right on the edge, so she wouldn't get in the way of anyone. The demon watched the other students, coming to school. Some looked happy, some tired and some sad, probably because of all the tests they had today. To a regular person's eye, everything was normal. To Homura, it was far from normal. She tried to keep this world as natural as possible, to deceive them and make them live normal lives. Even if she wasn't a witch anymore... This just felt like another labyrinth. One she would build to keep Madoka safe and to give the others another chance to live an ordinary liife.