Chapter 4

The sound of the ocean waves. The depth of the dark blue sea. Kyoko was looking for something. For someone. She wanted to look further, but she knew she couldn't get too far from the shore - she couldn't swim and she would have drowned. The water around her was cold. That reminded her of all the lonely days she spent alone. Without her family, without anyone who would care about her. All she wanted in her life was someone who would understand her. Kyoko was getting further and further away from the safe land. As she continued her search, she felt that she reached the deeper waters. But then... She saw something under the water. A motionless body, sinking like a rock into the unforgiving depths.

'Sayaka!" She breathed out and without thinking, she bounced forward. She took a deep breath and dove underwater. 'Sayaka, Sayaka... !' That was the only word in her mind. She kept trying to reach her, but Sayaka was disappearing from her sight.
Kyoko blinked, as the harsh sunlight filled the room. It was 8am, Saturday morning. The day of the sleepover at pinkie's house, Kyoko remembered immediately. She sat up in her futon and looked over at Sayaka's bed. She recognized the contours of her body under the blue blanket. The blue-haired girl was there, sleeping peacefully. And breathing. Sayaka was with her, in their room. Both of them were alive. Everything was how it's supposed to be. But... Why does it feel so surreal at the same time?
A growl echoed from her stomach. "Breakfast..." she mumbled. Shaking off all negative thoughts, Kyoko got up and sneaked closer to her roommate's bed. A mischievous grin appeared on Kyoko's face, but she quickly changed her mind, when she saw Sayaka's sleeping expression.

"Cute..." she murmured and felt bad for what she wanted to do just now. On a normal weekend, Sayaka would wake up first and make breakfast for both of them. On the rare weekend days when Kyoko was the first one awake, she always yelled at Sayaka to wake up and make breakfast. She didn't mean anything bad by it. Their bickering and arguing wasn't because they wanted to hurt each other. It was a sign of affection for them, but most people wouldn't understand that. Their relationship was hot and cold, like fire and rain. They weren't the touchy-feely types who would talk about their emotions and then cry and hug. It was the company of the other and the routine they had established which kept them going. But maybe, at least once, Kyoko could do something different. Even if Sayaka didn't show it that much, Kyoko knew she was excited for the sleepover at Madoka. Her childhood friend was very important to her, but they have had troubles communicating, ever since she went to America. No phone calls or messages, as far as Kyoko knew. The fact that Madoka came back so desocialized... Even though Kyoko didn't know Madoka in the past, she could tell that the girl used to be different. But there was one thing Kyoko knew for sure. Today's breakfast will be shitty.

She quietly left the room and closed the door behind her. As she made her way to the kitchen, she smiled. She truly appreciated the home Sayaka gave her. Sayaka didn't know anything about Kyoko's past life. She promised she would tell her once the right moment comes and since then, Sayaka didn't push the topic further. She was so considerate of her.

Kyoko, still smiling and in a surprisingly good mood, opened the fridge. She basically looked through the whole kitchen, trying to get together ingredients for... something. Despite her love for food, she couldn't cook at all. Her smile slowly turned into a frown. This will be a disaster.

The first thing Sayaka heard that morning was a loud sound and lots of swearing. She quickly checked the other side of the room, only to confirm her worries. Kyoko was awake and definitely doing something in the kitchen. So much noise... Sayaka sighed and slowly got up, curious what her roommate was up to.

There was a broken mug on the floor. It was the one Sayaka bought for her mother a year ago. Pink with white hearts. There was also something else on the floor. A sobbing Kyoko.

Sayaka has never seen that girl cry, ever since she started living with her. Nothing would bring her down, she always hid her worries and pain behind bold expression and strong words. But now, she was crying right in front of her.