Part 4: Call Now to Die Instantly

Nafi's car was a rusty convertible that rattled when accelerating, but it got me out of the city. Gully Road used to be a tourist spot for people to come see the old radio and ranger station, and they tried preserving the ranger vibe by never paving the bloody road. Nafi's car spluttered up the once-mountain, lurching worryingly around tight bends overlooking sheer drop-offs.

     I parked just before the last bend. And piled a few rocks behind each wheel. I ducked into the thick trees beside the road to approach the station. Bad news, the dirt parking lot had a dusty black van. Element-exposed stairs circling the tower's body twice, topped by a sun-greyed wood cabin.

     I rushed the empty stretches to the base despite the stairs being empty. All with the ledger probably. I swallowed hard and started up. No problems with shooting me this time. Who would hear the gunshots?

     I climbed the stairs, pausing with every squeak of the wood. Nothing from above. I dropped to all fours for the final flight, peeking into the cabin. Splinters burst beside my head as a shot punched into the wood. "Who's there?"

     I smirked and got to my feet. "Just me."

     The speaker was an angry-looking ruffian, his gun trained on my forehead. "Yeah and who are you and why were you crawling about?"

     My shoulders lifted in a shrug. "New member. Boss sent me over."

     The gun wavered, which I took as a sign to advance. "She wanted me to deliver a message." I could see eight others inside the cabin, lounging on folding chairs. The room was packed with dusty radio equipment. A scarred table in the centre had the remains of a poker game and a black-bound book.

     "Hey, what's going on?" A lady thug came out, half her face covered in a nasty tattoo. There was also 'YOU' and 'FUCK' tattooed on her eyelids in that order, so I guessed she didn't think hard enough beforehand. Recognition flashed in her eyes. "What's a cop doing here?"

     I snorted. "I'm a detective, idiot. And I'd like nothing more than to get paid, don't matter who. Came to warn you Barteal betrayed you guys and cops are coming to take the ledger. She needs you guys to torch the tower. I'll keep watch up here."

     She squinted down at me. "You for real?"

     "Would someone be stupid enough to come here and not be?"

     That evidently confused her, but I didn't have to explain 'cuz a guy with binoculars called out. "Uhm, guys? The chick who just arrived, is she a fish? It's coming!"

     A ruffian with a floppy toque shot to her feet. "Shitshitshitshitshitshitshit."

     "Everyone get to the van," the one with the gun barked. He gestured at the nearest person (me) with the gun, demonstrating a frightening lack of muzzle control. "You. Grab the ledger."

     "Not a chance." Ladythug blocked the exit. "We shoot her, that demon goes away."

     "No one's being shot. Hemming don't like her pet detectives getting killed, or do you want to be thrown in the mulcher like Ricky?"

     Ladythug conceded that point. "Well she sure as hell ain't riding with us."

     "I have a car," I said, surprised at how well this was going.

     Muzzle Control frowned at me. "Know what? Just torch the ledger before you leave." He looked like he doubted I'd get out. "Cthulhu will get summoned anyway. We just need to go." He swept the gun over his buddies. "GO!"

     They swiftly vacated the ranger cabin, Ladythug and Binoculars giving me dirty looks on their way out. And I was left standing alone with the ledger. I blinked. "Holy shit that was perfect." I could hear the thugs tromping down the stairs, and something splitting trees in the distance. Hopefully I wouldn't have to worry about the latter.