Chapter Nineteen

Eydis

The time with Meili proved to beneficial, he trained with me, and he taught rough. Days we worked nonstop on form and how to manage the actual sword while at nights, he introduced me to the people of the Kingdom. The men talked to me of battles won and frequently told stories of the Gods while the women that once hated me now spoke to me as if I was not a slave. They recognized me and had even started to approach me when he was not around. It baffled me, but I liked it, talking to people and feeling wanted was new.

"Tonight, I would prefer you slept in my bed rather than with the children." He kicked me back, and I moved pivoted quickly to face him. My sword thwacked against his, and he nodded in approval. "You have been mad for long enough."

"I think I have not been mad long enough."

Meili made an effort to not make me hate him more than I already did. "You will sleep with me tonight."

"Why not any other night?"

"Because you bled." He smirked. "No chance that you carry his child and are spoiled." Meili looked over to me, his eyes were alight and waiting on my response."

I ignore him and start back on the training. Moments like this, he balanced being an asshole and somehow... endearing. "I think I was spoiled before Thorsten ever touched me."

"I spoiled you?" He cocked his head to the side and started to move towards me.

Meili's leg swiped at my feet, and I hit the ground. "Get up!" He awaited my rebound, standing at with his guard up. I take the hilt of the sword in both hands and swing at him. The wood hit his leg, and he sucked air through his teeth before winding his sword around and then stopping at my neck. The dull side of the wooden sword stung. "You would be dead. One good hit does not mean victory. Up!"

My feet ached, the training had lasted the entire morning. My stomach growled, and my head swirled. Breakfast would have been nice. But he demanded that we were to rise early and make good of the morning. "I am tired, Meili." I leaned against the wooden post. "I will eat."

"You will fight."

"Must you patronize everything I say?" I tossed the sword to the ground. "When Erik wakes from his nap, he will need milk, milk I will not have because his father forced me to train."

"Do not use your son as a bargaining chip."

"You use Esme as one." I shrugged. "I guess you are teaching me well."

"You do not approve of the arrangements I have made?"

"You do not care what I approve Meili, save yourself the worry." Siggy walked over to me, no crutch in his hand, his legs were learning to steady themselves. I was impressed and happy with his development. It was certain in this world a man could not be respected unless he was stronger. He was finding his strength. "Sigtrygrr." I smiled. "Good day."

"Eydis." He nodded his head. "Father." Siggy smiled. He was coming into his own. His hair, which once bore the hairstyle of a child, had started to grow. The blonde hair was pulled to the back, except for a few braids which were garnished by golden rings. "My mother has called for you."

"I will be there shortly," Meili said. "Where is your sister?"

"She is with Gyda and Erik."

"Good." Meili pulled me to him, "You are going nowhere. A battle does stop when you are hungry or tired. It ends when you are defeated or vic-,"

I lunge towards him, knocking Meili to the ground and taking the sword to him. "Yield," I growled.

Shocked, he scoffed and then laughed. He was truly tickled, shaking his head before pulling the wild strands of hair from my face. "Get your food."