Chapter 4, Phantomhive Games.

"We will be having a masquerade ball in one week's time, per Elizabeth's request," Ciel says. 

Elizabeth huffs in annoyance, "For the last time, I told you to call me Lizzie! It's much cuter."

I watch as my brother struggles to not let out an enormous sigh. Ever since her arrival two weeks ago, Elizabeth has tried her best to spend a much time with Ciel. It is quite humorous to watch, considering Ciel does like his solitude. Elizabeth, in all her pink glory, is the opposite of my reserved brother. 

I do my best to occupy much of Elizabeth's time in order to help my brother. I watch as her eyes gleam when she admires the vibrant flowers in the garden. Unfortunately, my peace is almost certainly interrupted every time by a certain crimson eyed butler. 

After the... incident, a fortnight ago, I have done my best to keep an eye on the mysterious butler. Something about him rings inhuman. 

Third POV

"Something about her rings inhuman, my lord," Sebastian expresses to his master. 

After last night's debacle, Sebastian is almost certain something darker lurks beneath Verena's exterior. She should not have been able to overpower him. 

Ciel sets his teacup down. "Nonsense. Verena is my sister. I would know if something 'inhuman' lived within her. She is of the same flesh and blood as I, of that I am certain." 

"Of course, my lord," Sebastian bows, "Allow me to express my sincerest apologies in case I have offended you. I shall no longer bring the topic of your sister up." 

"Very well. You are dismissed, Sebastian." 

Sebastian turns around and exits his lord's study. He did not expect the young master to agree with his findings. 

Though, his young master was partially correct in his statement of Verena not being inhuman. 

Something monstrous lurked beneath the surface.

|     |     |     |

Today begins fairly routine. Mey-Rin awakens me at dawn and assists me in getting dressed. I absentmindedly watch as she picks a ruby red pinafore dress from my armoire. I slip into the dress as Mey-Rin finishes tying my corset. Someone knocks on my door as I finish getting dressed. 

"Enter," I reply to the knock.

Sebastian enters my room and abruptly stops in his tracks. He stares at me in my dress. I suppress the heat rising to my face and maintain my composure. 

"Well, you may as well paint a picture if you wish to stare at me for as long as you have in this moment," I say with a smirk. 

Sebastian, noticeably shocked, bows his head down. "Forgive me, Lady Verena. My improper conduct is most unbecoming of me as a butler. The young master would like you and his fiancee to head into the city in order to pick out dresses for the ball. I shall now take my leave." 

Mey-Rin lets out a small giggle, "I have never seen Mr. Sebastian lose his composure. He always is rather emotionless, yes he is." 

Her words ring true. Up until the... incident, two weeks ago, I had never seen emotion on the butler's face. He always remains stoic, no matter the situation. I push the thoughts out of my head and grant Mey-Rin her leave. I tie my hair into a braid and pin it up in a simple bun. After finishing, I exit my room and head down the stairs. Sebastian is at the bottom of the stairs. 

"I find it quite curious how I elicit such peculiar behavior from you, Sebastian," I say as I walk down the stairs. 

"Unfortunately, I do not quite understand it myself. Your existence itself is most curious to me. I am afraid I find it difficult to maintain decorum whenever you come into view," Sebastian replies.