Chapter 8, Phantomhive Past.

When I come to, I find myself laying on my bed. I sigh in relief at my familiar surroundings. Perhaps everything was just a dream. I am in my nightgown with the blanket covering me.

The pain all over reminds me that everything was not a dream. Everything I experienced did indeed happen. I gasp at the sharp pain that attacks my side. I try to get up and stand, but my legs betray me and I hit the ground. I groan at the new flash of pain. 

The door opens and I feel a cold pair of hands lift me up. I am placed upon my bed again. Sebastian looks at me as he runs a gloved hand through his raven tresses. The memories of the incident involving Azzurro inundates my mind. It is then that I remember what Sebastian did to the man.

"You are not human," I mumble quietly.

Sebastian smirks. "You are quite clever, Verena. I knew it was only a matter of time before you figured it out. Do tell, what exactly do you believe me to be?" 

The question replays in my head. What exactly do you believe me to be? I look at the butler, meeting his emotionless crimson gaze. Sebastian chuckles and brings his hand up to his mouth. He removes his glove with his teeth, revealing fangs. The glove slips off and once again reveals the deep purple pentagram that marks his pale skin.

"You are a demon," I finally answer. 

"Very good," Sebastian replies. "I must admit, I was not expecting such a calm reaction from a human. Though, you are not like other humans, correct? You quite possibly may not be human yourself. How puzzling." 

"Shut up," I snap angrily. "Did you not think I knew from the moment I met you that you were not human? There was something telling from the moment I first saw you. It is clear to the human eyes that you are inhuman." 

Sebastian chuckles. "Perhaps it is so, Verena. Though, most humans do not know at first glance. Humans are selfish creatures wrapped up in their own miserable existence. Their greed keeps them from noticing what is around them. Humans long to conquer and fail to realize the possible inhuman characteristics that surround them. They are weak, lowly creatures who die off so very easily."

Unfortunately, he is not wrong. Us humans have a drive to take what does not belong to us.

"And what makes you believe that I am not human myself?" I inquire. 

"It is quite simple," Sebastian replies. "The man you hit over the head with the vase died. His skull was cracked from the impact. A human cannot perform such a barbarous feat. I also have reason to believe you enjoyed it." 

My heart freezes in my chest. The worst part of Sebastian's statement is that he is not wrong. I did enjoy it. "You lie. I did not crack his skull, and I most certainly did not enjoy it." 

"Wrong answer, Kitten." 

Sebastian pins my wrists to my side and he hovers above me. I hiss from the pain, but judging from the foreign emotion radiating from his eyes, he most likely does not care that I am injured. Sebastian presses a hand against my birthmark. I snarl from the pain and pin Sebastian underneath me. I realize this is exactly what he wants. 

I walk over to the mirror and see it. A quick flash of fuchsia in my eyes. I turn to look at Sebastian and see that his own eyes are glowing fuchsia.

"What have you done to me?" I ask in horror. 

The butler sits up and cocks his head at me. "I did nothing. Perhaps you should ask yourself, 'Who turned me into this?'"

With those final words, Sebastian exits my room. I am left alone, wondering what exactly the man meant with those words.

|     |     |     |

Hours pass. Night turns into day, and day begins turning into night. The other servants have tried to check on me throughout the day, but I always give them the same answer. 

I'm fine. 

I am not fine. 

I feel as if I am breaking. Like a mirror with several fractures, waiting to completely shatter. I want to ask Sebastian what he meant, but he is currently busy with his butler duties. Elizabeth has come over once again, and she is spending the day with Ciel.

Though, if I ask Sebastian what he meant, there would be no turning back. My life as I know it will never be the same. Just who am I, really, if not completely human? Again, I find myself entwined within the mystery with no hope of escape. Perhaps this truly is a dream and I will wake up soon. 

Of course it is not a dream.

My head hurts just thinking about it. Is there a part of my past that I do not remember? I try mentally digging through the depths of my mind, but it feels like I am blocked. Exasperated, I slam my fist against the nightstand. My hand goes through the mahogany material. Wood splinters everywhere and causes my hand to bleed. I lift my hand up and stare at the blood that flows freely.

Then, it hits me.

A young girl turns towards me, her face smiling brightly. She grabs my hand and pulls me forward.

"Verena, the market is absolutely lively today! Oh, how we must go! Father has given us permission to roam. He is currently meeting with the Pharaoh and will arrive for us before sundown! Let us take this chance to mingle among the folk!" 

"Kamilah, do we have to?" I whine.

She gently smacks me on the head. "Of course we do? What is the worst that could happen?" 

"Verena, you mustn't continue to collapse upon the floor," a voice says. 

My eyes flutter open, and I am met with Sebastian's gaze. He picks me up and places me back on my bed. 

I had not even noticed I fell to the ground again. One moment I was looking at my bloodied hand, and the next I was on the floor. Sebastian grabs a cloth and presses it against the wound on my hand in order to stop the bleeding. My eyes glance towards the nightstand. Now that I see it clearly, the complete left side of the stand is completely destroyed. 

"You must learn to control yourself," Sebastian starts, "lest I will teach you control." 

Part of me wants to snap back at the man, but I focus on the bigger issue. "I... I don't know what happened. After I hit the nightstand, I saw something. A vision? I do not know how to explain." 

Sebastian raises his eyebrow. "Oh? Do continue." 

"I was standing in what seemed to be a palace. There was this girl. She had snowy white hair and amethyst eyes, much like my own. She knew my name. She knew me. She said something about... a pharaoh? I was not in England, that much I knew. But how did she know my name? And why did it seem I was in a different time?" I explain. 

Sebastian sits in silence before finally looking up at me. His eyes are once again fuchsia, and he displays a foreign look on his face. 

"Sebastian? What is it?" I question. 

Instead of answering my question, Sebastian slams me against my bed and leans into my neck. His hands travel down to my hips, which he grabs roughly. His lips make contact with my collarbone. 

"Sebastian!" I manage to gasp out. "What are you doing?!" 

He growls and pulls himself away from me. "It seems I have finally solved the mystery of what you are. Someone turned you into this." 

My eyes widen, "Someone turned me into a demon?" 

Sebastian laughs. He actually lets out a deep laugh. "What a foolish question. No one turned you into a demon, Kitten." 

I look at him in confusion. Just what exactly was causing him to act like this? 

"Someone turned you into a human."

|    |    |    | 

Short chapter for you all. I hope it makes up a little for my disappearance! Quarantine has not been easy for me, and school has also started up, making my schedule hectic.

I hope you enjoyed! I will try my best to get more chapters out. I'm determined to finish this book even if it takes me years. 

-krystallic