Chapter 7, Phantomhive Butler.

My head is pounding when I wake up. It feels like someone took an iron shovel and slammed it against my head as hard as they could. A bright, warm light encases me as I come to my senses. I squint at the brightness and adjust to the unfamiliar surroundings. 

It seems like I am stuck in someone's study. The walls are pearly white. There are no paintings or decorations that fill this room, save for one large painting in the corner of the room. The air is thick with the scent of tobacco. As I come to my senses, I realize only one person could have done this. 

"So you are finally awake," Azzurro says. 

"Vanel," I spit viciously, "What the hell do you think you are doing?"

Azzurro Vanel walks up to me and grabs my face. I grimace from the harsh grab that causes pain to erupt in my face. With his free hand, he holds his cigar and blows the smoke in my face. He laughs, knowing that I hate the smell. I cough violently and spit on his face. Azzurro wipes his face quickly with a handkerchief

"I want the key to the warehouse. Both you and that boy know where the key is," Azzurro says. 

He gestures to the other side of the room. Ciel is sitting with blood dripping from the top of his head. His visible eye meets my own. 

"What the hell did you do to my brother? You will pay, you rat!" I snarl. 

Azzurro slaps me across the face. My cheek stings from the impact, but I hold the pain in and remain stoic. Seeing me remain emotionless seems to absolutely infuriate the man. He grabs me by the neck and lifts me, slamming my body against the wall. Ciel struggles to yell through his gag. 

"Tell me where the key is, you bitch!" Azzurro roars in anger. 

"Do you... really... th-think... you sc-are me?" I laugh weakly. 

In frustration, Azzurro drops me roughly. I gasp for air loudly. Oxygen fills my lungs, and I sigh in relief.

Azzurro paces around the room. "No matter. I already have my men ready at your mansion. The Queen's Guard Dog and his servants die today." 

Ciel manages to loosen the gag around his mouth. "Watch yourself, Vanel. The Phantomhive servants do rather well when playing fetch. How long do you think it will take for your men to realize this?" 

"You brat, I'll kill you!" Azzurro snarls. 

He gets ready to kick Ciel in the stomach. Mustering all the strength I have left, I run in front of my brother and take the blow. The air rushes out of me as I collapse to the ground once more. My head thuds against the ground and causes the pounding in my head to intensify. Blood flows out of the fresh wound in my head. The warm liquid forms a small pool beneath my face. 

"Verena, why would you do something so foolish?!" Ciel admonishes. 

I smile weakly at my brother. "You may be the Queen's Watchdog, Ciel, but you are my little brother. I cannot allow anymore harm to befall you. If I should fall here, let it be protecting you." 

"Stupid girl," Azzurro mutters. As he prepares himself for another kick, the telephone on the desk rings. "Did you get the key? What do you mean something is chasing you? Stop being foolish, it is probably just a stupid bear in the woods! Why are you screaming? Answer me!" 

All that comes from the telephone is static. Azzurro slams the telephone down and runs a hand through his blond hair. 

"Woof," Ciel mocks. 

Again, Azzurro charges towards Ciel to punch him. And again, I brace myself in front of him. Azzurro's knuckles make contact with my cheek. I bite down harshly on my lips. The metallic taste of blood fills my senses. Blood drips down my chin, the warm liquid seeping into my dress. He gets ready to hit me again. Just before the next blow lands, loud screaming from multiple men can be heard all throughout the mansion. Azzurro walks away from me and grabs the gun on the desk. He points it towards the door. 

Footsteps can be hear approaching the room. I look at Ciel. The eyepatch on his right eye has come undone, but he keeps his eyelid shut tight. I face the door. The doorknob creaks and slowly moves. The door opens and Sebastian appears. 

"I am here to retrieve my young master and return to the Phantomhive Esta-"

A bullet goes straight through his head. I gasp and watch in horror as dozens of bullets quickly fill his body. Sebastian's body hits the floor with a loud thud.

"I can't believe it worked!" Azzurro laughs maniacally. 

Five men emerge from behind the painting. Everyone looks relieved.

"Y-You bastard!" I scream. Using the absolute last of my restraint, I charge towards Azzurro. He easily dodges me and grabs me by the hair. He aims his gun at me. 

"There are much more comfortable places to play dead, Sebastian. I am tired of these games. Get up," CIel says.

Coughing can suddenly be heard. All the men in the room gasp as Sebastian begins twitching and waking up. 

"How-How can this be?" One of the men exclaims. 

Sebastian stands up and coughs blood into his hand. All the bullets inside of his body now rest in the palm of his gloved hand.

"A perfectly good pair of gloves ruined," He mutters. "Most unfortunate. And my tailcoat is in tatters. This won't do at all." 

With a swish of his hands, the bullets lodge themselves in Azzurro's men. They die from the bullet wounds sustained from Sebastian. Azzurro panics and places the gun against my temple. Ciel looks at me with shock on his face.

"Don't you dare shoot my sister," Ciel growls. 

I shake my head at Ciel, "Better me than you, brother." 

Azzurro holds me tighter as Sebastian walks closer. "Not another step! One more move and I put a bullet in her brain."

"Sebastian, this is an order: save my sister!" Ciel commands. 

Of course, Sebastian does not listen and takes another step. As promised, Azzurro quickly cocks the gun and pulls the trigger. I close my eyes and wait for it to all be over. 

But the end does not come. 

I open my eyes and see Sebastian's ungloved hand holding a golden bullet in his hands. On the front of his hand is a purple pentagram. I widen my eyes at the sight. Everything is coming together now. 

Sebastian places the bullet in Azzurro's shirt pocket. "Here you are. I am sure you would like this back." 

A sickening crack envelops the room. Azzurro's arm bends backwards and breaks. He screams in agony and tries to crawl away. This does nothing to stop Sebastian from advancing towards the wailing man. 

"No, please don't!" Come work for me instead! I will pay you ten times what that brat pays you! No, make that twenty times!" Azzurro begs.

Sebastian smirks. "A generous offer indeed, but I must decline. Human currency is worthless to me. I work only for my young master. So long as we are bound by contract, I shall do what he commands." 

The room begins to darken, and black feathers begin to fall. Sebastian continues his advance and grabs Azzurro by the head. I turn my head away, not wanting to see what torture inevitably was about to take place. What is heard next is a sickening crack and thud as Azzurro falls to the ground, dead. 

Sebastian walks over to Ciel and unbinds him. Once Ciel is free of his restraints, Sebastian walks towards me.

"You are safe now, Lady Verena." 

It is the last thing I hear before the darkness enshrouds my vision and I black out once more.

|     |     |     |

Seems to me that Verena is figuring out Sebastian really is. Things are starting to get very spice.

I hope everyone is doing okay. For those of you who also live America, I hope you're doing well considering the recent spike in COVID-19 cases. I live in a state where the cases are going up again, so please make sure to social distance and wear a face mask!

Stay healthy and happy, loves.

-krystallic