chapter 1

~

"We are aware of your..." He paused for a moment, "situation." His voice sounded sickly and enervated. "You have suffered a severe memory loss, due to your current medication and past ..... events." I didn't like how he stopped at every word. It made me feel like he was reciting a script, or that there was something to hide. I don't like people being secretive about me, especially to my face. "We are going to inject you with a serum that stimulates old cells and nerve endings, focusing mostly on the brain. The thing is, it would be too dangerous for you to remember everything that happened fully, that's why we put you on a special morphine dose, that stops brain cells right in there tracks, like when you have forgotten a word that's on the tip of your tongue." He stopped and returned the dead eye stare i was giving him. He breathed out. "Basically it's a simulation of your past that we can monitor and observe. Okay?"

I replied with a simple: "k."

Truth was, I was terrified. To be locked up in here, to get all the latest technology tested on me, to be tortured to the brink of having a cardiac arrest, what did I do? A single tear fell down my cheek. Unable to wipe it away because I didn't want them to see how much my hands were shaking.

"The simulation chamber," the old man indicated towards the glass coffin, "is where, quite obviously due to its name, we put you under simulation." My hands were shaking uncontrollably now. For the first time the woman spoke, she had a soft Irish accent.

"Its just like putting you in a medically induced coma." Oh great. That was reassuring. What if I mess it up, what if I do something wrong? "In fact, you won't even remember you were here. Now it's pretty new technology," she walked over to the glass case, I followed her.

"So things can still go wrong. If something does go wrong, it could potentially destroy life as we know it, but that's a big if. Try to stay as calm as possible, and don't panic." A white panel drifted out from the bottom of the coffin, and one of the sides moved upwards. I realized I was meant to lie on it.

A sudden chill ran through my body, the thin, white hospital gown was no protection against drafts, but this was different. For once the demon had stopped being.

I sat down and pressed my back against the bright plastic. I wanted to get up and run into the dead forests that surrounded me. I wanted to get as far away from here as possible.

But I knew I couldn't.

Almost instantly I was injected with something, probably a stronger morphine than the one I was previously on.

It are me droopy and highly suggestable, I think.

Oh god I was scared.