Winning a Battle, Losing the War

"What are you three doing here?" Meredith demanded. "And what the hell are you wearing?"

She squinted at the three girls, who were stuck wearing red and white striped dresses and ugly white tennis shoes.

"We're candy stripers now." Maya huffed, as she helped the other two girls stock the shelf.

"You don't seem very happy to be here." Meredith observed.

"We're not. We're being punished." Darla sighed.

"We got caught cheating on a test. And we'll be doing this after school every day for God knows how long." Beth pouted.

"Be be careful, okay? Things are pretty chaotic around here today. It's the dead baby bike race."

"I'm sorry, it's the what?" Beth's head shot up in disgust.

"It's an inappropriately named bike race with essentially no rules. These idiots zoom all around Seattle knocking people over and getting themselves and others hurt." Darla explained.

"You can't gouge your opponent's eyes out." Meredith shrugged.

"What?"

"That's the rule. You can't gouge your opponent's eyes out."

"I hate this city." Beth shook her head.

"I've got to get going. It was nice to see you again." Meredith called as she jogged off.

"See? She's not so bad. Would it really be the worst thing in the world if she was dating your dad?" Darla asked.

"Yes! Because my father is still married." Beth reminded her again.

She was starting to feel like a broken record, having to repeat the same thing over and over and over again.

"Sorry." Maya and Darla said, throwing their hands up in surrender.

"Have you talked to your mom recently?" Maya asked. "Maybe it would be good for you to reach out."

"No way. I could barely even look at her before we left New York, much less talk to her. Every time I think about her, all I can se is her in bed with my dad's best friend, who I called uncle Mark." Beth shuddered.

"Ew." Darla scoffed. "I get why you won't call her."

"It's almost noon. After we finish stocking this shelf do you guys want to grab lunch?" Maya spoke. Beth could tell that she was trying to change the subject, which she appreciated greatly.

"Sure. I'm starving." Beth nodded, and it wasn't a lie.

****

"Can I sit?" Meredith asked.

"Um, sure. I guess." Beth nodded as Meredith took a seat at a table with the girls.

"Don't you have your own friends to eat with?" Maya scoffed.

"Maya!" Darla glared at her. "Don't be mean."

"What? All I mean is that she's a grown woman asking to eat lunch with a bunch of teenagers. That's not weird to you?"

"Ignore her." Darla waved her hand dismissively. "But...why aren't you eating lunch with your friends?"

"They're all pretty busy with this bike race. I don't have a lot of time either." She replied.