Chapter Twenty-Six

"Thus did mighty Mjölnir pass from my gaze, fallen 'pon thus lower realm." The god chugged his beer, froth seeping in to the braids in his beard. "Twas not till I had awaken from the slumber of mead that I found it missing."

Batman narrowed his eyes, "The hammer was discovered three-hundred years ago."

Thor guffawed, "The time of mortals passes quickly indeed." and finished the rest of the tankard in a sip.

Raven grimaced as another drop of beer splashed on to her cloak. She looked at Damian, who shared with her a mental sigh.

Squashed rather uncomfortably besides  J'onn, WonderWoman asked the god, "When you awoke, you sensed Mjölnir's presence and sought it?"

Thor sniffed, thunking the hammer on to the table, spilling the two full glassed that were awaiting his finishing of the last. He wrinkled his nose at the Amazon, "We are one."
He picked up the next jug of beer and thrust it towards Damian, the liquid sloshing over the side, "Drink boy. Meade is a warrior's fire."

Damian raised his eyebrows as Batman bristled, "I'll pass."

J'onn could feel Diana tense besides him, alarmed by Robin's tone. He looked down, finding her fingers twitching towards the hilt of her sword. As Raven hastily smoothed over Damian's words, J'onn placed a reassuring hand on the back of Diana's arm. She looked at him and her eyebrows were drawn forwards.
J'onn wouldn't try to connect with her mind; he knew that she found it disconcerting. But people found comfort in physical contact, so he hoped that he'd done something to elevate her stress.

The god sitting across from them, who'd all-but dragged them to the nearest 'tavern' to 'experience mankind's feeble attempts at good drink', was powerful alright. J'onn as certain that if the young demoness across from them were asked, she'd tell them that the god's aura was a writhing mass of lightening. While Diana might be saved from instant death, the humans to J'onn's right would not be so fortunate: a blast of lightening could tear a whole straight through their chests, reducing their hearts to mere ashes.
From the creases in her forehead and her tightly clenched fists, J'onn could see how the Norse god's presence distressed her.

Batman vaguely divulged a situation involving some sort of occult ( J'onn assumed this was the same group that brought the deity to Robin's mind). The Martian briefly wondered if the Egyptian god would feel him connecting with Robin's mind. He dismissed it instantly: the boy was prideful and secretive- he didn't want to offend. J'onn did settle, however, to speaking to Bruce's son afterwards. Perhaps he might help him manage sharing a conscience.

"Ah- t'was these fiends who sought Mjölnir for their schemes." Thor's eyebrows were like lightening bolts as they rose with his fury. J'onn could almost hear his irises crackling with electricity: streaks of silver danced arose pale blue. Outside the pub, clouds gathered overhead seemed to darken (a marvellous feat considering the perpetual darkness Gotham seemed to be in) and a low tremor rippled through the sky.

Thor stood, his chair crashing into the wall behind him with the sheer force of the action, "Indeed, this insult shall not pass unpunished. I will seek these-"

Unceremoniously slumped on the floor,  bound by the Lasso, their prisoner groaned, shuffling. As the occultist's eyes slowly blinked open, WonderWoman unsheathed her sword, moving away from J'onn, and holding the blade's point by the woman's neck.

In the background, a trembling bartender called, "Would you like another drink sir?"

Thor placed his hands on his hips, "Hah! But of course my friend!" then looked down at the semi-conscious woman. "I shall make an example of this mortal fiend and taint the land with her blood."