1. In Which Everything Goes Wonderfully Wrong

The hardest part about leaving home was that no one expected me to leave. All of my friends were convinced that I loved my California so much that I would never even consider leaving. When I told my friend about my plans, she thought I was crazy. After all, I didn't have a real, mundane job and I didn't know anyone who lived near the big city. For the first time in my life, I would be utterly alone and helpless.

As I walk down the stairs, my suitcase clunking behind me, Emma runs up to me. Her arms are thrown around my neck and she squeezes until I can hardly breathe. I am almost knocked backward from the force. My eyebrows raise as I blink her golden hair out of my eyes.

"Promise me that you'll call me every day," she tells me.

"You know I can't, Em." I laugh as she pulls away from me, still clutching my shoulders.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you? I am more than willing to—" she talks so fast that a normal person couldn't possibly understand her.

"Your life is here. I can't ask you to leave your family behind." I cut her off.

She gives a pouty face. "Fine. I just want to clarify that I am not okay with this. I mean, I could help you. We should just tell your grandma that—"

"That I am a complete disappointment?" I cut her off. "You know what will happen if anyone finds out. I have to do this— I have to protect you guys." With a sad smile, I give her one last hug.

"Stay safe, Addie." She whispers, tightening her arms around me.

"Always."

The flight from California to New York was a long one. As someone who struggles to keep herself entertained, I found that being in a confined space made the chronic boredom so much worse. I found myself rotating between all the apps on my phone. Eventually, my eyes began to hurt from the strain of staring at the screen and I decided to attempt a nap.

When I arrived at the chaotic airport, I was shocked at the aggression of the people. By the time I reached the exit, my face was red with frustration. On the bright side, my anger made it easier to yell for a taxi. I found my new home— a small apartment that is in dire need of a renovation— with some difficulty.

While I was bedridden for the past week, I had found a potential roommate. She was about my age and she had a lot in common with me. She seemed like a laid-back, easygoing person who was easy to get along with. Her previous roommate had moved out after she graduated school and she didn't like the idea of living alone. She even offered to help me get a job at the cafe she worked at, completely disregarding the fact that I have no experience.

My heart was racing as I got out of the taxi and made my way up to the apartment. The small, brick building looked nice enough— there were no signs of any demons or criminal residents, and the building was free of graffiti. Though I don't understand how a barista could live in a building like this, I wasn't complaining.

Before I even had the chance to knock on the door, it swung open to reveal a girl with dyed silver hair. She was wearing a bright smile and her deep brown eyes sparkled in a way that reminded me of an anime character. Despite her perfect appearance, she was wearing a pair of black jeans and a Black Sabbath t-shirt.

"Rae," She guesses.

"That's me!" I return her smile with my own. "You're Lyla?"

She gives an excited nod. "Come on in! I've been waiting for you all day!" She steps aside to let me in.

I almost giggle like a child at first glance. The apartment is small, but it is almost expertly decorated. The white walls are filled with artwork and pictures and the large windows allow lots of natural light. The mustard-colored couch is accented by an assortment of black and white pillows and a matching chair. The living room flows right into the kitchen, which is decorated with more artwork and a small succulent sitting on the center of the round table in the corner. It is so drastically different than anywhere I have ever lived but in the best possible way.