16. I Never Thought I Would be a Wedding Crasher

A knock on my door pulls me out of my self-pity. Before I am able to stand from the bed, Isabelle storms into the room. Her face is as red as her dress as she approaches me. I push myself to the opposites side of the bed and stand, making sure there is an obstacle between us. I don't know what she's angry about, but I know that I don't like the look in her eyes.

"You're not going to the wedding?" She asks me. "You're just going to leave?"

I chuckle nervously. "I'm supposed to go home, Isabelle. My family is there and I miss them."

"Tomorrow night is my big brother's wedding and it needs to be perfect, which means that you need to be there. I don't care what you're fighting about, but you two need to get over it and be there for each other. I'm already trying to fix Jace and Alec, I do not need to fix you too," she rambles.

I let out a breath and drop back onto the bed. "Izzy, I can't."

"No," she places herself on the edge of the bed, "you don't want to. Alec made his choice and, no matter how bad of a choice it is, I am going to support him. You should, too. As his friend."

"You're right." I stand and grab my packed bag, dropping it on the bed. "The best way I can support him is by leaving."

Isabelle scoffs, reaching over to unzip my bag. "The only person you're helping is yourself. This isn't you, Adelia. You're supposed to be the selfless one."

"I think I deserve a moment of selfishness." I zip the bag up again. "After all, I did almost die."

"And this selfish moment will haunt you for the rest of your life." She unzips my bag again and I glare at her.

"Fine!" I stand from the bed. "I'll stay for the ceremony. That's it!"

Isabelle's signature smirk spreads across her face. "That's all I ask." The phone that I hadn't realized she was holding chimes in her hand. She checks the message momentarily and looks back up to me with wide eyes. "Jace and Clary are back."

She rushes out of the room and I follow her. Though she's in uncomfortable-looking heels, I struggle to keep up with her quick pace. She doesn't slow down until she sees Jace and Clary entering the Institute. Neither of them stop when they see us, so we fall into step beside them.

"Jace," Isabelle catches his attention as he passes us. "You're coming to Alec's bachelor party, right?"

"No," Jace states. "He doesn't want me there and I'm swamped."

"You two seriously haven't worked things out yet?" Isabelle asks him and I chuckle. However, my chuckle fades when I receive a glare from Isabelle.

"There's nothing to work out. If he wants to talk, we'll talk."

"He's your parabatai."

"Bonds can fade, Izzy." I remind her before looking at Jace. "I'm not saying you should let it fade, though."

Jace doesn't seem to be paying attention to us anymore. His gaze catches Lydia and he stops walking, narrowing his eyes. I glance at Clary, who apparently is already on the same wavelength as Jace. Maybe it's a sibling thing.

"We have more important things going on than a bachelor party. Come with me." Jace finally says, leading us into the empty training room. "We have a mole in the Institute." He announces when he confirms that there is no one in the room.

"What?" I say a little too loudly. "For real?"

Clary nods. "We were attacked by a Shax demon when we went to see Ragnor Fell."

"Is Magnus okay?" I immediately ask. Just because I am somewhat angry with him, doesn't mean I don't care about his well-being.

"Magnus is fine," Clary reassures me. "He seemed pretty torn up about Ragnor."