10. The Never-Ending Nightmare Continues

The next morning, I wake up to the smell of coffee. I rub my eyes as I roll off of Magnus' couch and drag my feet towards the kitchen. I smile slightly at Julian, who had made a bed for himself on the floor with a bunch of pillows and blankets. I insisted that he should take the couch, but he wouldn't let me sleep on the floor. We had stayed up most of the night talking, being careful to stay away from the topic of Valentine or my death.

When I enter the kitchen, I see Magnus seated at the table, sipping on a martini. His feet are kicked up on the table and he holds a newspaper in his hands. I never pegged Magnus as someone who would enjoy reading the news, but I guess it passes the time. He looks up from his paper, sees me, and snaps his fingers. Blue sparks soar through the air and two cups of coffee appear on the table, one for me and one for Julian.

"Isn't it too early for that?" I nod to the martini, grabbing one of the coffees and sitting across from him.

"Shouldn't you be wearing a shirt?" Magnus asks, scanning over my sports bra and sweatpants combo.

"Well, someone insisted on turning on the heat and I enjoy being comfortable." I take a sip of the steaming liquid.

"Shadowhunters." Magnus rolls his eyes, looking back at the paper. "Where did all your runes go?"

I give a dry chuckle. "They're glamoured."

Magnus puts the paper down, looking at me with raised eyebrows. "I would see them if they were glamoured."

Without saying anything, I go back out to the living room to grab my stele out of my jacket. When I return to the kitchen, I slide the stele over the rune that Hodge left me on my arm. Suddenly, all of my runes and scars become visible again and Hodge's rune fades completely. When I look up at Magnus, he is watching me with wide eyes.

"Hodge showed me the rune. He wanted to help me look like a mundane," I explain, sliding my stele into the pocket of my sweatpants. "He's not going to be happy when he finds out that I blew my cover, but I'll deal with that when he finds me."

"Those scars," Magnus grimaces, scanning over the deep scars on my stomach and arms. "Are they from Valentine?"

I nod, trying to act nonchalant. If I told him the real story, he would pity me. "Training was brutal."

"Do you think he's going to hurt your friends?" Magnus asks softly. "Or Alec?"

I shake my head. "They're safe until he finds out that they have the Mortal Cup."

"Who's Alec?" Julian's voice comes from behind me.

I whip around to face him. His eyes are still slightly puffy from sleep and his clothes are wrinkled. The deep shadows under his eyes were still present, meaning that he didn't sleep well last night.

I almost forgot that I didn't tell Julian about Alec either. He was one of the other topics I was trying to stay away from.

"My friend," I respond, "or rather, he was my friend."

"What happened?" Julian walks over and picks up the second coffee cup. I don't miss his eyes scanning over the multitude of scars that covered my arms and torso.

"I told him the truth."

"And what is the truth?" Magnus asks. "I don't think anyone ever got the whole story."

I look at Magnus through narrowed eyes. He just wants me to tell Julian the truth-- he wants me to tell him everything.

"Is the truth going to explain the dark hair?" Julian plays with a fallen curl. "Or the fact that you look like a mini she-hulk?"