Chapter 19

The rest of the week flew by and on Friday Skylar and I went down to Bondi Beach and met Luca after lunch. It was still too cold to go swimming in the surf but Summer wasn't far away and we would be practically living down here and a lot of different beaches this coming Summer. I wanted Skylar to be confident and safe in the water be it in a swimming pool or in the ocean.
" I need to enroll Sky in swimming lessons". I said to Luca as we walked down to the beach past the life saving tower that was featured in the Bondi Beach tv show and stepped onto the sand.
"Does the gym have a pool?". He asked.
"No unfortunately". I shook my head.
We sat down on the sand and Skylar started picking up little clumps of it in her hands and letting it fall through her fingers. I grabbed a bucket and spade from my large Billabong beach bag and Luca grabbed the bucket and held it for us while I scooped some sand up into it.
" I joined an online dating site the other night". Luca said.
I looked at him. " Oh did you?".
He nodded. " Got an influx of likes by women and one guy". He grinned.
" I hope you let him down gently". I smiled. My cousin Damon was gay and had a nice partner called Elon but Luca definitely liked women.
"Any contenders?". I asked Luca.
He smiled and said "maybe? It's still on early".
" Just be careful. You hear stories about online dating and how sleazy it can be".
Luca smiled reminding me he was a big boy and could look after himself. I told him I know but still, just be careful.
We sat down on the sand for an hour watching Skylar chase after the odd seagull.
"I have a date tomorrow night actually". He told me after awhile.
" Oh do tell?". I asked him.
He scooped up Skylar as she went to run off after another seagull and almost ran into an elderly couple who were strolling past us holding hands.
"Sorry" Luca said to them and tickled her as they sat back down on the sand.
"You make a lovely family". The lady stopped and smiled at us.
"Oh no we -"Luca started to say and I interrupted him saying "Thankyou".
There was no need to say we wern't. Luca was like family. He was my best friend and Skylar's godparent.
"How old is your daughter?". She asked.
"Almost a year and a half". I replied.
"She is beautiful". The lady smiled.
"Thankyou". Luca smiled. " she sure is".
" Have a good afternoon". They both said and continued on walking.
"So who is your date tomorrow night?".
"Her name is Jane." He replied. " She is a dental nurse".
I nodded. " Does she have kids?".
" Not yet". He grinned.
I laughed at that. " Well maybe you can help her in that department?".
He laughed shrugging and said. " Let's just get through tomorrow first".
When it started getting cool we packed up and went back to the car. Luca buckled Skylar into her chair while I put the Bach bag and my bag into the car boot. We quickly hugged and I wished Luca good luck on his date tomorrow night then he hopped into his car and I hopped into mine.

Taj flew home from Townsville late the next morning. Skylar was going to Felicity and Brian's for the night as it was Brian's Mother's 80th Birthday and they were having a gathering for her at their house for lunch. I was invited but declined and said Skylar could still go and sleepover. I still hadn't seen or spoken to Sam since my 30th and Taj was getting back and I really wanted to see him. Ok I wanted to do more than see him!
I dropped Skylar off about 10.30am on the way to pick Taj up at the airport and was hopping back into my car when Sam drove in.
I froze not sure what to do because he had parked right behind me. He looked over his steering wheel at me, said something to Emily in the driver seat next to him and got out . Waved at me but stayed in the car. I waved back at her and looked nervously at Sam as he walked towards me.
" Hey". He half smiled at me.
"Hi". I replied hesitantly.
He cleared his throat. " Are you coming tonight?".
I shook my head " No. I'm just dropping Sky off".
" I hope you aren't staying away because of me?". He asked.
"No I'm not". I told him.
" Ok. Well I'm sorry about how I reacted on your birthday". He apologised.
" Thankyou. I'm sorry how you found out about -". I stopped.
He nodded." How is Taj?".
" Good. He gets back from Queensland in an hour. I'm heading there to pick him up".
Sam nodded again. "Well sorry again. Mum told me Liam had told her if you two ever got together he would be ok with it".
" Ok". I paused. " I would never have if Liam was still here. I loved your brother. I still do".
" I know". Sam said. Then he told me not to be a stranger with him and Emily who got out of the car and came over to us then.
"Hi " She smiled at me.
" Hello". I returned the gesture and then told them I had to get going or I wouldn't get there before the plane landed.