There might be some other ways of looking at it

Michael's POV

We pull up to the studio and I can feel the nerves set in. I haven't ever been nervous for an interview, but this one feels like it's going to be different. 

We walk into the place and sit down. They start to record and the guy starts to talk. 

"We are here today with the wonderful 5 Seconds of Summer. How are you boys?" He asks. 

"We're all doing really well right now." Ashton answers. 

"We see that Michael's been doing pretty well. We saw a picture that surfaced of you with a little boy earlier today." 

"Oh yeah he-" I then feel a tap on my shoulder and I turn to see Calum. 

"You don't have to answer him if it makes you feel uncomfortable." He whispers. I just smile and start talking again. "He's my son." I say with a smile. 

"A son? Fans speculated, but they didn't think it was true. How old is he?"

"He's five." 

"Why did you decide to keep him hidden?" He asks. 

"Oh uh- I-we-"

"Who's the mom?" 

"I-"

"When's his birth-"

"Okay we're done talking about the subject." Calum says as he sees that I'm visibly uncomfortable.

"Just one more-" 

"He said that was enough." Ashton says. I look over at them and smile. 

"Okay then, Luke, you were pictured with Michael and th-"

"I'm sorry, but we can't do this interview right now." Luke says as he stands up. We all look up and him. "Come on guys, let's go." He says. We all stand up leave the room. 

"That was utter bullshit." Calum says as we get into the car. 

"Yeah. Mike, you didn't deserve to be harassed like that." I shrug my shoulders. 

"I knew it was going to happen. It's a big change and it came really suddenly for everyone including us. I don't blame him for wanting to be the first to hear all about it."

"Do you ever want Jaxson to be in the public eye?" Luke asks. 

"I don't know. I mean, I love our fans and I know that they'd love him just as much as I do, but I also know how cruel people can be. I don't want him growing up and thinking that shit matters you know?" 

"I get that, but that interviewer was such an ass. He didn't even let you get a word out."

"Yeah, he was kinda a dick." I say with laughing. Shortly after that conversation, we head back to the house.

I walk in first and see Carly on the couch with a sleeping Jaxson on her lap. She smiles when she sees me walk in. Calum, Luke, and Ashton all head upstairs leaving Carly and I alone with Jaxson. "Have you eaten anything?" I ask in a low whisper.

"I've just been focusing on Jax." She says with a smile.

"Did he have another nightmare?" I ask.

"I don't know why he keeps having them. It's really worrying me. I wish I knew what was causing them so maybe I could-" All the sudden Jaxson starts screaming really loudly.

I feel my heart starting to pound and then I hear the guys come down. Carly carefully starts to shake him awake and he finally wakes up. His hazle eyes begin to fill with tears and he hold onto Carly for, what looks like, dear life.

The sight completely shatters my heart. I look up to see the guys standing there with extremely concerned looks on their faces.

"Wh-what the hell happened? Is he okay? D-do we need to call someone?" Ashton quickly stammers out.

"He's okay, he just had a nightmare." Carly says as she slowly rocks Jaxson. I start running my hand through his hair to let him know that I'm here. Doing that seems to calm him down a bit and he stops crying.

"That was a nightmare?" Luke questioned. Carly simply just nods her head.

"Does he do that all the time?" Calum asked.

"Guys, just go back upstairs, we've got this." I say calmly. They all give me a look before walking back up the stairs.

Jaxson lifts his head and sees me there. He let's go of Carly and makes his way to me. He sits down on my lap and buries his head in my chest. I look over at Carly and see her run her hands through her hair. "Hey," I say, placing my hand on her thigh, "you have me now. You don't have to do this alone."

"Thanks Mike. It just- it really breaks my heart to see this and what hurts worse is, there's nothing I can do."

"Well being there to comfort him's gotta count for something, right?"

"Well yeah, but it doesn't make the problem go away."

"I know, but it's the most you can do for him."

"What if this never stops? What if one day, he'll be too scared to close his eyes and go to sleep? I worried that he'll be too scared to even blink out of fear he's going to see something scary."

"And if that time comes, both of us will be right here for him just like we are now." She moves closer to me and rests her head on my shoulder. I feel Jaxson shift in my lap and see that he's back asleep.

"Thank you for being in his life. I know that I really messed up with keeping him from you, but I couldn't be more grateful that you let him in."

"What kind of person would I be if I turned you two away." Her head lifts from my shoulder and she gives me a confused look.

"What do you mean?" She asks.

"Well it's just that you obviously have a reason for letting me meet him and I couldn't just slam the door in your face." She smiles and places her head back on my shoulder.

This is the first time that us three have really been alone together. It feels like nothing's changed between me and Carly, even though everything has.

I'm not sure if my feelings for her are back or if it's just the fact that we have a kid, but I do know that I don't want to lose her again so I'll do everything and anything to make her stay.