Chapter 15: Fatality

"Derek!" I yelled as I watched him take off down the crumbling hallway. He was scared and panicked, I could feel it. I released my grasp on Kate's throat and she tumbled to the floor in a heap. Good.

"Derek!" I tried yelling again. I could feel him getting farther away through the mate bond.

Wait, mate bond? Isn't that a werewolf thing? But he's human. How can I still feel his emotions? Can he still feel mine? What does this mean? Maybe it doesn't matter- maybe a werewolf's mate could feel the bond no matter what species they are. All I knew was... I'm panicking too. Kate has been our only lead in reversing the spell and saving Derek... but whatever she had done, she didn't know what she was doing at the time. I would have thought an ex-hunter would be a little more cautious. Apparently not. I could feel where Derek was, just outside the church, he's okay for now. So I turned back to Kate to try one last time.

"What spell did you use on him? Do you at least know that? If you don't- you're not nearly as intelligent as I thought you were," I sneered.

I stared at Kate, my eyes still flashing. She was clutching her bloody throat and glaring at me- putting on a tough act. But she wasn't fooling anyone, I could smell her fear, and I knew the rest of the room could too.

"Answer me!" I roared, canines extending and the alpha command in my tone. She flinched at my words, a small whimper escaping her mouth. I may not be her alpha, but she can still hear it.

"It's- it's in the spell book I found. I'll take you to it!" She stammered in fear, her voice hoarse from my claws nearly ripping her throat out. She stumbled to her feet and her berserker caught her, steading the werejaguar.

Suddenly the angel stiffened where he was standing behind the berserker, and Dean looked at him quickly. "Cas? Cas what is it?" He asked in concern, his eyes searching Castiel's face.

"Sam," Castiel answered in a worried voice, and that's all it took for Dean's face to change from worry to fear and anger.

"Take us," Dean demanded, grabbing the angels arm as his face hardened. He glanced back to me. "I need to make sure he's safe," Dean said, an underlying plea in his words.

I nodded. "Go!" I said, making a shooting motion with my hands. Cas and Dean disappeared immediately and Kate's eyes widened.

"What the hell is he?" She said in awe.

"Move it, Hannibal Lecture," I said angrily, giving her a shove from behind.

She rolled her eyes and scoffed. "I don't eat people Stiles."

"No- you just mutilate their bodies beyond recognition," I snorted, like that was any better. Okay, maybe slightly. I shivered at the idea of someone eating someone else's flesh.

"Because I don't have control!" She roared, her irises flashing green. Apparently.

"Well, miss I'm-better-than-everyone Argent, maybe you should learn. Seeing as you were too much of a coward to take the hunters way out," I said harshly. Truthfully, I thought the tradition was absolutely horrible. I winced as Allison's mom came to mind. But for Kate- no one deserved to die more.

She glared at me, but stayed silent as she wound her way through the halls. I still felt Derek outside of the church, the panic and fear nearly overwhelming me from here. I wanted nothing more than to pull him into my arms and comfort him- but we needed to get this spell. It could be our only chance. And I would not give up- ever. Comfort would come later. Isaac and Malia were right behind me, their bodies still tense as they watched Kate and the berserker's every move. I realized with a jolt that if Kate decided to attack now... were sorely outnumbered without the angel. Shit. Isaac and Malia both glanced at me sharply, and I knew they could sense my unease. I just hoped Kate couldn't smell it.