||Shot 2: Until you breathe||

LOVE…

Her life got stuck on that word. That L word sure has the power to shatter someone. Never in the dream, she would have imagined her best friend will propose to her. Oh, God! Life has gotten better and better! She wanted to repudiate what she heard. It had to be a lie, her mind tricks!

For a moment, she was happy to get a call from him after ten years. It was supposed to hang out to make out lost times. But… why? Why things had to turn out like this?

Crouching down on the floor, her heart crushed. She could not discern what hurting her most- his sudden confession, or broken friendship rule.

“I love you not as a friend. But a woman you are.”

His words persist to ring in her ears again and again. No matter how many times she holds her ear to stop those. Her world culminated in the second he confessed those words.

Confused and skeptical about her emotions. She needed space to process what’s happening. It doesn’t make her sense. Her best friend loves her. Bullshit! Friends mean lifetime commitment and why he tainted that pious relation.

This was not a movie where friends fall in love with each other and happily ever after. No, it’s not! He needs to understand that.

She did not realize how long she had been sitting on the floor, her leg stiffened. It must be an hour!

“Shoni…” Her mother calls her, as she stepped into her room. Her hairs were unkempt and eyeliner smudged all over her face. Instantly, her mother guessed what had transpired. Their meeting did not go well.

“Ma, he… loves me… how can he?” Her voice quivers.

“That’s love sweetheart. It happens without our wish at a most unexpected moment.” Her mother elucidated her. A subdued silence filled the room. Although she was impervious to get into mother persuasion.

“But I can’t…” she paused to take deep breaths,  “I mean… I don’t love him.” She replied stoutly, frowning in consternation. Her words sounded oddly cryptic, a cue for her never to fall for him. Anxiety morphed into her.

“You do Shoni… you always did.” Her mother asserted. “Friendship is the foundation of every relation. You have a man by your side who understands you, what else you want? He’s better than any stranger.”

Nevertheless, she has taken none of it.

All warned her ‘a girl and guy can never remain just friends.’ She shrugged off their words. Now her mother too. “No ma, we are apart ten years. He’s not less than a stranger. He’s not the San I knew.” Said Swara stoically.

Fall in love with a friend is ludicrous;

What he felt is mere infatuation.

Yes, that’s it!

*****

Pain...

That reflected in her eyes when he proposed. The rejection stung on his heart.

He had got it wrong.

She never loved him.

For her, he was only a friend.

Knock on the door yanked him from his trance.

“San, why are you looking like a zombie?” A glimpse at his pale and wan face Sujatha, his mother inquired. She came to his room to ask for details about his gathering. All about grown Swara, only to astound, seeing Sanskar in distress.