Chapter Fifteen

FRIDAY

I woke up the sixth time in the late hours of the morning, with a jolt of happiness only love could bring. I grinned like a child on Christmas morning in remembrance of all the bouts of love my wife and I had shown each other last night. Before the third round, we uncorked the nonalcoholic wine and made a toast to a happy marriage for us. Prior to round four, we just talked and laughed about so many things. We both had a lot in common which was shocking yet thrilling. By round five, our bodies defied our hunger for each other. Fatigue stepped right in and soon we dozed off, thoroughly satiated.

Stifling a yawn, I checked the time on my wristwatch noting it was already 9am. It wasn't as late as I thought. I turned sideways and cooed inwardly, loving the beautiful view of my wife. Her back was all I could see but to me it still was the most beautiful sight to see in the morning. I really could get used to this; waking up next to her every morning of our lives. My whole body tingled with want for her. I wanted to reach out to touch her, to take her again but then I reasoned the night had taken its toll on her so she needed to rest some more. I decided to order breakfast instead. Carefully, I climbed off the bed and walked a few steps to the round table from yesterday. Using the telephone set on it, I called the nurse at reception to enquire if we'd be getting any meal from them or if I had to order elsewhere. They said breakfast was already on its way as a list on the menu for the "Honey moon Package". I thanked her and the hospital immensely for the generous offer and decided to take a shower while waiting for our breakfast.

In the shower this time, I sang and whistled elatedly, it was a Korean song my heartbeat hummed, about not letting go of one's love. I poured enough shampoo on my hair to ensure it's great fragrance mingled so my beautiful wife will find me more attractive. I brushed my teeth thoroughly, afraid to have any bad breath left. I didn't want her to grimace when we kissed. I wore my wedding shirt again and my boxer shorts, because I didn't bring any clothes with me. Oh silly me! I mentally face palmed. I might as well rush home afterwards to get a couple shirts, jeans, you know, casual clothing.

Done with everything in the bathroom, I walked out only to notice she was still fast asleep and in the same position that I left her in. Concerned, I moved towards her with the intention of checking if she was all right but the sound of a knock stopped me in my tracks. Surely, it was our food. I quickly opened the door and ushered the lady with a large tray in. I recognized her as one of the saleswomen who sold at the cafeteria. She greeted good morning and congratulated us both with a smile. I knew she wanted to say more but I left her to wake Tomiwa up.

As soon as I touched her, I knew something was wrong. Her temperature was so high and her breathing was uneven. Alarmed, I asked the lady to call the hospital for an ambulance but I reasoned it might take a little more time for them to get here. Therefore, I decided to take her to the hospital myself. But underneath the covers, she was in her birthday suit. Briskly, I checked to see if she was fortunate enough to have clean clothes, unlike me. To my joy, I found a green nightie that was knee-length and shrugged her into it before carrying her bridal style out of the room, the cafeteria lady matching my strides. We were both silent and even without looking at her, I could sense her fear.

This was because I felt the same thing. What possibly could have gone wrong? She was all right-that was an understatement-last night. I recounted the night, the times we made love and the times we just talked, she was perfectly fine. All these thoughts swam my mind until we got to into the main building of the hospital. Every person we passed, stopped whatever they were doing to stare at us, their eyes holding fear and so much worry, it was suffocating. A pool of sweat gathered around my forehead at the elevator but I couldn't wipe it off seeing as my hands were holding onto the almost lifeless body of my wife.