Chapter Eighteen

My son chose the moment on our way back home to rain down questions on me. Thank God I was patient, I would have lost my mind. His questions began with “Why did I sleep with my new Grandma last night rather than with you and my new mummy?” to “Have you eaten?” to “Why did we stay at the hospital instead of going to the park to play with my new mummy?” to “Why did you still put on the same clothes from yesterday? You told me it's unhealthy to do so.”

I repeat, thank God I was patient!  I answered all his questions in the best possible way, praying each question was the last but that was far from it. I couldn't remember how many times I sighed and scratched my head in frustration. Afterall, he was quiet at the hospital but chose this time to let out every question his mind wandered to.

“Milaga jug-eul kka?” I all but pulled over to the side of the road at his last question. He asked if his new mum would die. This question made me realize how terrified he was at some point at the hospital but I had thought since he couldn't speak or understand English so much, he was oblivious to everything.

“No, your mum isn't going to die. She is just a little bit sick. She will be all right soon and the you will play with her everyday, okay?” I responded in rapid Korean, guaranteeing that the situation wasn't that terrible. He nodded, satisfied that his thoughts were wrong. I restarted my car and resumed driving.

To my amazement, that was the last question he asked. I waited for him to throw more questions but he never did. Glancing at him through the rear view mirror, I knew why. He had fallen asleep. I knew he was tired but sleep was the last thing I expected he'd do. Perhaps he had been fighting sleep just so he could get all the questions that troubled him off his chest. I stretched out to ruffle his hair, amazed by my beautiful son.

When we got home, I carried him in and instantly remembered my thoughts before I got into my car yesterday. I had said the next time I came home, I'd be a married man. Yes, that was true but I was currently a lonely and nearly miserable married man. Putting that thought aside, I walked up the stairs and placed my son on his bed for his afternoon nap.

Thereafter, I went to my room to get rid of my recent clothes which were already soggy. I took a cold shower for reinvigoration and changed into my regular black T-shirt and khaki cargo shorts. My stomach grumbled, reminding me I hadn't eaten all day. I proceeded to the kitchen to fix a plate of peanut butter sandwiches and some yogurt because that was the only food I had the courage to eat. The occasion didn't call for spontaneous and luxurious food. I ate rather slowly and sulkily. I found myself tossing the half left of it into the bin but drank all of the yoghurt.

From then on, I retreated to my home office where I dealt with matters concerning patients at the hospital better. It was always cozy and the rug underneath my swivel chair and desk were soft and soothing, therapeutic even. I decided to get the show on the road.

You see, my idea was to edit and combine the videos I received from Bisola and write a letter to accompany the full video. I hoped when Tomiwa woke up, she would read my letter to her and watch the videos too. Through this, I hoped her request to me would be accomplished and she could garner a thing or two to perchance, activate her memory. And if she still couldn't remember, I'd want her to keep watching and reading it until a change happened. Heck, even if her case was so critical that she couldn't read, I would read it to her. I vowed to always be there for her in sickness and in health.

By the formation of this idea, I cracked my knuckles and got to work; creating a memento for my wife!

★★★★★★★

Within thirty minutes, I was done with the editing and combination of all the fifteen videos. The first being the time I got into her room on Monday with the sunflowers in my hand after volunteering to make her happy, then there were videos of all subsequent days. Through the video, I witnessed her laugh and other times cry, I watched us paint the female ward which she had occupied and how the glow-in-the-dark pictures brightened everywhere including my heart, it was approximately that time I knew I was in love with her.