Chapter 9- What Best Friends Are For

Jessica's P.O.V.

Have you ever been in a high-speed car chase? I have and let me tell you, it's not fun when you have Scott in the passenger seat yelling at you to slow down. "You know, Scott, I don't think you're really gauging the point of a car chase here!" I shout.

"If you don't slow down, you're going to kill us," he counters.

"Jessica may not be a werewolf but she has faster reflexes than anyone. She'll be fine," Meredith defends as Stiles turns around.

"We lost her." He turns on the police scanner and we hear that they are trailing Derek in the old ironworks. I whip the car around and drive to the ironworks. I spin to a stop in front of Derek and Scott throws the door open before climbing into the back with Meredith and Stiles. Derek jumps in the car and I speed off immediately.

"Ugh! I almost had him. Until the stupid police showed up."

"Hey, they're just doing their jobs," Stiles tries as I turn to Derek.

"It's not our fault someone heard something suspicious at the school, now what did you find?" He gives me a look and I take my eyes from the road to glare at him. "You can tell me willingly or I'll make you."

"He didn't know anything, all he had was this." He holds up a piece of paper with the symbol from Allison's necklace on it a fact that Scott points out. "Then it has something to do with the necklace," Derek thinks aloud and I pull the car to a stop and put it in park so I can turn to him.

"What if it's not about the necklace, but where it came from," I suggest and he looks at me confused. "Allison is one of my best friends. I noticed the necklace the day after her birthday and I asked about it. She said it was a family heirloom from her Aunt Kate. You said the Argents burned down your house, right?" He nods. "Well, I've been researching the victims, trying to figure out what they had in common. It's fire. What if it wasn't the Argents but simply Kate. I think that the Alpha is going after people connected to the fire."

"But why?" Derek demands.

"I don't know but think about it. The Alpha went after Harris because the fire didn't get marked as arson right?" He nods again as I share a look with Meredith. "Well, the thing about chemistry is it can be used for lots of things. Burning holes in steel, disposing of dead bodies, stuff like that, but my dad told me when I was studying it to be careful once because he said that if you mix the right chemicals together, it'll look like a natural fire."

"So Harris told Kate how to burn the house down and make it look like an accident. That's why the Alpha went after him," Derek restates and I nod.

"If I had to take a guess, yeah."

"So what do we do?" Scott speaks up.

"Right now, we wait. The cops got a good look at Derek so they probably think he attacked Harris so you need to lay low. As for us, we need to lay low. I don't know if the Argents know that I got bit yet but I do know that they are looking for another beta."

"How?" Stiles asks and I give him a bright smile.

"I excel at eavesdropping."

_______

The next day, I'm at my locker next to Stiles' when Scott rushes up to us saying that Jackson knows. "Well, this sounds like a you problem so I'm going to go." I try to leave but Meredith pulls me back.

"You're in this now, Jess. And if anyone can stop Jackson, it's you."

"What can I do?" I question exasperatedly.

"I don't know, compel him. Get someone else to compel him. Everyone listens to you. If you tell them to, anyone will do it. You even have Klaus wrapped around your finger and don't think I don't know that you have Elijah working for you doing whatever so-"