4. The Marriage Contract

"Haan ya na? Haan, ya na!" (S6, E4 - S6, E8)  

"Yes or no? Yes, or no!"

The elopement episodes legit kill me. It's so painful, and it's painful because it was avoidable! And it's all built of misunderstandings! There's so much regret and what ifs that stem from here that this phase alone has inspired so many fan fictions across the world.

This moment reminds me of Shakespeare's Othello on how Desdemona was painted as a lose woman by a jealous Iago. And convinced the Othello who had loved his wife endlessly that she was having an extra marital affair with Othello's best friend and right hand man, Casio.

In IPKKND, Casio and Iago is built into one Shyam Manohar Jha - a man Arnav trusts immensely. A man so manipulative that it's almost impossible to believe his vile side until we see it ourselves. It often makes me wonder what if we, the audience, never saw the conniving side of Shyam Manohar Jha? It's frightening to realize that like Anjali, a lot of us might have had difficulty to understand what could be the truth.

There are so many reasons why this episode hurt. Khushi expected a proposal. Arnav wanted to propose. And it wouldn't just be a confession of love, it would be marriage - it was hinted all along with the mehendi, haldi, new bangles for a bride to be and his duty as a damaad to look after his in laws' relatives. He had behaved so innately as if he were already married to Khushi that it hurt to see their dreams of marriage come true, as a nightmare.

The push and pull between pain, empathy, betrayal is heartbreaking. Also, I believe it is also one of the few television shows to completely highlight the reason for a sudden, forced marriage. Yes, Arnav technically 'gains' agency of Khushi by claiming her as his wife - but that is never physical.

To be physically close to her is what they both wanted and dreamed off so it's the first thing he shatters between him and Khushi. They wouldn't be in the same side of the room, forget the bed.

Barun and Sanaya's performance is impeccable in these sequences. Arnav's constant shift from a cold, calculative monster a man whose heart breaks on his beloved's tears is so visible. Khushi's disbelief, to heartbreak to helplessness and ultimate ruin pulls the most of us to run and hug her for the longest time.

When Arnav asks Khushi to marry him, the pose is romantic - with her pressed against him, dressed in the similar shades - much like how they had danced a few nights ago. But it's all a nightmare, the green tint adds the feeling of nausea, despair and gloom.

Of course, most of the anger shifts to an Arnav who torments Khushi endlessly for the months to come but most of my hatred at this point is fixed on Snake Jha instead. That man, singlehandedly, destroyed the most beautiful relationship out of his own villainy.

And if there's anything I'm unsatisfied with in this serial, it's how Arnav and Khushi never end up punishing Shyam directly for ruining their individual lives (and for perennially harassing Khushi over a period of seven months).