CHAPTER I

Never had Carter thought that they would finally return home. Sure he and his family travel a lot to other countries but never has he felt so at home at Forks. The small town brought him a sense of nostalgia of his home - France. Living in a small town had always been advantage to him with getting along with the people. He didn't have to worry on remembering people's names and faces. Carter was always known and loved by the townspeople, even by those in his master's manor.

    He was a reeve during his human life and he enjoyed his human life. He tended to the flowers alongside the gardener when he was not busy, assisted in the kitchen when needed, stayed in the stables and cared for the horses, and served his master when he is called. His master was a kind man to him and the rest of the servants of his manor. Despite his master's reputation of being a ruthless man for power, he was but only a father who had to raise his son after the passing of his beloved wife. The man didn't care about how people see him as long as he could raise his son with love and affection.

    His master's son, the young master, was also like his father. A kind and loving lad that wouldn't hesitate to help others. A trait that Carter had assumed he got from his past mother. He was a man whom you would mistake to be a prince for the way he act instead of being the only heir and son of a nobleman. The boy possessed many qualities that once made Carter see him in a different light.

    "Is this really a wise decision?" Hearing the slight rasp of his brother's voice had Carter looking away from the window. He was enjoying as everything blurred past them all the while reminiscing of his past. He along with everyone in the car and the other three cars behind them were old as a fossil. Maybe an exaggeration. His once carefree life as a human had ended the moment he woke up to choking on the blood of a man who he never met.

    "Of course." His father mused as he glanced at the rearview mirror to see his middle son roll his eyes. "We told the town, especially Charlie, that we will be gone for two years because of a job opportunity that I might take up." Carter could feel the smile from his mother's words. His mother was a professional landscape architect. Her love for nature and buildings nurtured her talent for landscape architecture. She started out small by being given the opportunity to design the garden of their manor during the 1700's.

   "Wasn't he suspicious that a job offer would be left open for two years?" His brother, David, questioned with a scoff that had his oldest brother, Jameson, shaking his head in disapproval. "Did you forget that aunt Nova, uncle Jayden and Serenity were there?" Of course, with his aunt's gift similar to hypnosis, his uncle who bears the gift of telepathy, and Serenity who was gifted with mind-control, it didn't take much work to persuade the Chief of Forks.

    "I think being away from Forks was a great idea. It was refreshing." Jameson mused when he saw that David wasn't planning to retort to his question. Carter let out a chuckle as he shook his head at the duo. Returning his gaze back towards the window, he missed the look David gaze him. "Do you think things will be different?" He found himself asking out loud.

    Everyone glanced at the youngest son. They were all worried about leaving Forks since they found out that Carter was attached to the place for it reminded him of his past. Unlike everyone else, Carter seemed to be the only one who enjoyed to relinquish in his past, both good and bad. They felt bad for what the boy had to go through in his life. They were all uncertain at first to leave him alone whenever he did so but as time passed they learned to just let him be. They didn't like seeing the fragile boy reminisce the horrible events of his past. He may not have showed signs of being depressed or stuck on the events but they were still worried for him.

    "Probably. I heard from Harper that they got themselves a new student." Carter only hummed at the announcement. "Jessica called and told her everything and then laid it all out to me. The only proper information was that the new student was a girl and she just so happens to be Charlie's daughter." Another hum from Carter while everyone else had perked up at the information. "Oh and she also mentioned how a new family moved in when he left." Now that had Carter's attention. He glanced at his brother with an interested expression.