Chapter 16

Bucks was back from work and was now changing into a loose t - shirt when he heard a scream. He dropped the t-shirt on the bed and ran out of his room in only a pair of sweatpants  .

He budged in the guestroom of his penthouse apartment to find Rita's back arched on the bed , her right hand trying to grasp something on her neck as her mouth released a blood curdling scream.

"Rita ? " He called out gently as he tried to hold a struggling Rita in his arms , who looked like she was in a hot match and was now  wrestling with an invisible force.

"Rita , Rita. Its me . Its me. It was just a horrible dream ... Come down ," he cooed as he tried to calm her by rubbing tiny circles on her back with the palm of his hand.

Rita stopped struggling and stared at Bucks blankly.

" Rita ... Are you , Okay ? " Bucks deep voice inquired gently .

Rita continued to stare at Bucks blankly, her face devoid of any emotion. It was as if she was not seeing anything though her eyes were wide open. Bucks was worried and wondered why his assistant was staring at him as if he had grown three heads . He was about to question her further but she blinked a few times and her hands gripped Bucks' arms tightly.  For a sick person, I wonder where she is getting the strength. Bucks pondered as he now looked into her eyes.

"Mama ..." She muttered in a whisper before her brown eyes rolled up her head and she became unconscious.

Bucks panicked. He called Martha's name at the top of his voice as he cradled Rita in his arms. The poor woman came running into the room only to have orders barked at her.

"Call Doctor Humphrey... NOW ! " Martha hurriedly left the room as Bucks pleaded with Rita to wake up.

The doctor arrived a few minutes later and assured Bucks that there was nothing wrong with Rita after examination. Rita merely fainted, her mind seeking escape from the horrors of her dream.

Bucks ushered the doctor out as he was deeply in thought. He realized that he actually knew very little about Rita and he felt guilty though he was not at fault since he was only an employer to her and she was in his life for barely a month. But he still felt inclined to know every detail about Rita. Bucks walked back to Rita's room his feet softly padding over to her bed.

"What is your story ,Rita?" He whispered as he stroked the cheek of a peaceful Rita's sleeping face .

***

Bucks was unable to eat dinner, his mind constantly flying back to Rita. The way her screams turned his blood cold and  the way her  panic-stricken face made him want to chase her demons away  had him lose appetite. Moving into his room , he booted up his laptop and tried to run a background check on Rita as he now sat on the bed.

After three hours, he came up with vague details that led him into a continuous circle. The name of the schools she attended, her current residence address, no parents , no relations , no friends .... This was odd. Rita was definitely hiding something.

Mama... The word made its way into Bucks' thoughts and he stiffened. What the hell happened to Rita's mother and what dream could be so horrid to make a girl scream her damn brains out until she passed out.  His mind was bombarded with questions when he heard his phone ring beside him.

"Terry..." Bucks growled into the phone urging the man on the other end to speak up.

"Sir, Jonathan left a message..."

"What message?"

"He says that either you give him what he wants or he will run the company bankrupt..."

Bucks paused , " NO ! "

" Sir ! What do you mean ... We'd better give him the five companies then he will leave us alone. "

" No , Terry. I know Jonathan, he is a shrewd man. He will not leave us alone, he has a scheme... "

"Sir , what do we do now ? " Terry asked in an exasperated tone.

"I will figure something out. " Bucks hang up. He ran a hand through his hair and looked at his watch. Realizing it was midnight, he sighed. Damn , he was tired.

He lay down on his bed, his eyes facing the celling his hands stretched wide and fell into a fitful sleep.

***

A loud pounding on the door jolted Bucks awake. He stared at his watch , it was nine a.m in the morning. His worries must have worn him out.

He opened the door to a worried  Martha.

" Why are - "

"She's gone! Rita ! She's nowhere in her room .. not even around the house. I've sent the guards to search for her even within the compound.. but ..  but she's no... where !" Martha broke down.

" What ?! How ?" Bucks exclaimed in shock as he ran to Rita's room to find that it was indeed empty of her presence. Great! Just great ! Rita so full of beautiful surprises...ugh. How could she have left, she's still very weak and this house is properly secured I would have been alerted of anyone breaking in or Rita leaving.... . Twice she is getting hurt under my own nose.... He pondered as he surpresed the feeling of worry.

Unless one of the guards helped her to leave or help someone take her. The latter was quite unlikely, his men's loyalty was unquestionable.  The thought struck his mind just as his head shot up and looked around.

"Martha, tell Zac to search and confirm if all my men are within the vicinity. " He walked back to his room to take a quick shower.

Rita! You sure have a death wish... But I will not allow it. Not on my watch. He vowed as he punched a wall, his knuckles getting bloody in the process.

Hope you love this chapter. It was a troublesome one to write ... Ugh. 😂Thank you all for the encouraging comments... Thank you🙏.

Please do remember to click the vote icon and support me...

Till next chapter. Bye bye. 😊