Seventeen

I woke up to the empty canvass of mattress next to me. Theo. I remembered, screwing my eyes shut. The longer I have my eyes closed while awake, the more the affairs of last night replayed in my head.

The soft sounds of Baby Im-a Want You takes me out of the flashbacks. I decoded to follow it, finally able to get a good look of Theo's bedroom through the sunlight entering the window. I take my phone from the bedside table. I debated changing into my dress by the leather couch before walking out of the room, deciding against it.

The tenant in me was amazed at the two-story flat. My bank account would cry renting anything like this. Aside from the fact that it's massive, complete with a living room, bedroom, and kitchen, it boasted an impressive interior design. The blend of white, beige, and black shades was very telling of his good taste.

The feeling of the cold, wooden stair tread further takes me out of my half-asleep state. Soothing chestnut fragrance fills my nose as Theo, who was pouring tea unto his mug, comes to sight.

Noticing my arrival in his kitchen he offered, "Tea?"

"Yes please, with milk," I accepted. It was only when I stop walking that a pulsating headache makes itself known. I squint my left eye, feeling the pound by my left temple.

His eyes bore upon me and with his natural intensity, a conscious feeling combines with my hangover. I tug at his shirt that I'm wearing to try and extend its coverage. But it stops just right at my bottom. I forgot that the morning light would expose me this way. I feel Theo trying to ignore the bare way I have presented myself, this energy echoing into me in the form of being embarrassed.

"Here," Theo said, sliding the mug on the kitchen counter, "take this as well to help with the headache."

Along with the mug is an Advil. I mutter a good morning and thanks, offering him a shy smile while I took the capsule. I down the medicine with the help of warm tea, recalling in my head that it's not a lethal mix unlike caffeine and ibuprofen.

We make small talk while Bread songs play in his speaker. Theo shared that he does bartending part-time while studying. I chime in with the fact that I also work for extra as an online copyeditor.

We then talk about Birkbeck. I found out he was two years ahead of me and that he's hoping to graduate next year. He found out I was a freshman and by some means, it led him to narrating insightful experiences from his first two years.

As the conversation flowed, I slyly turned on my phone, which I didn't know I shut down last night. To my surprise, the time said it was already 9 in the morning. Then, consecutive dings disrupt us as multiple texts flood my notification bar, most of which were from my companions last night.

Bryon:

Where are u??

Viv reply pls

Where are u

Zach:

Where are you and Gracie?

Bryon:

Nvm just saw you walk out with mister free drink

You're wearing his jacket!! Im giving your coat to zach

Get your end away makes us proud

I need the juicy deets!!!!!

Zach:

Your coat is with me let me know if you're coming to get it

Gracie:

Good morning bitch are u home now or