Chapter 3: Wild Card (Pt.1)

"I am..." All Might burst through the classroom door. "...Coming through the door like a normal person,"

"It's All Might!" A blonde with a black stripe in his hair, who I didn't know the name of, stated the obvious.

"Wow, he really is a teacher!" A spiky red head, who I also didn't know the name of, said. Man, I really need to learn some names.

"That's the costume from the Silver Age, isn't it?" A frog-like girl asked.

"I teach Hero Basic Training," All Might started. His weirdly deep voice was starting to bother me. "It is a subject where you train in different ways to learn the basics of being a hero. You'll take the most units of this subject! Let's get right into it! This is what we'll be doing today--" He dramatically pulled out a card, 'BATTLE' printed on it. "Combat training!"

"Combat..." Bakugo started but cut himself short. His short statement was finished by Midoriya, who sat behind him.

"And to go with that are these!" He pointed at the wall and shelves with bins labeled with numbers emerged. "Costumes made based on your Quirk registrations and requests you sent in before school started. After you change, gather in Ground Beta!"

"Yes, sir!" The class, me included, responded in unison. This is where it really starts. We all have to fight and claw our way to victory. Victory being graduating from the Hero course and becoming official heroes. After that, we claw our way to the number one spot.

I don't really care about rankings, as long as I'm high enough to make a living and actually help people. I can tell there are some people here who pine after the number one spot. People who want only to surpass All Might.

But being a hero isn't about being number one. It's about helping people.

~~~

My hero costume was pretty simple. Slightly baggy pants with many pockets. Black combat boots that went half way up my calf/shin. A black long sleeve muscle shirt and a jacket, matching my pants and with just as many pockets. In the pockets of the pants and jacket and tucked into the combat boots were various items, such as throwing knives, lighters, flasks of water and pouches of seeds and various treats I could give to animals, should I ask for their help.

Realising there were only a few people left in the locker room, I grabbed my helmet, which was a mix between a motorcycle helmet and a gas mask, and left.

"They say clothes make the man, young men and ladies," I glanced around at my classmates.

There were a lot of knight looking pieces and a couple ladies looked like they were ready for a night on the town. A smaller, toddler sized kids costume did nothing but make him look more like a toddler. The boy with the tape dispenser elbows looked like a knock-off power ranger and a few girls looked like they were ready to hop into a spaceship and blast off. A few costumes were more casual and a couple were more extraordinary, such as Mr. Bakugo "Grenade" Katsuki and the spiky red head, who seemed to think shirtless sleeves were in style.

"Now, shall we begin, you zygotes?" Woah, dude, we might be young but we're not that young. Do we look like fertilized ovums to you? I'm a teenage boy. Thank you very much.

~~~

"The Hero course is the best," The surprisingly pervy toddler said, giving a thumbs up as All Might saw the very obvious connection between him and his kids hero costume. I chuckled as he struggled to keep from laughing.

"Now, it's time for combat training,"

"Sir!" One of the knight looking boys raised his hand, voice echoing through his metal helmet. "This is one of the battle centers from the entrance exam, so will we be conducting urban battles again?"