Chapter 4: Maigo

They waited the next morning at the same spot where the thief had first appeared. They waited all day, but nothing happened. Nothing moved beyond the squirrels gathering nuts, and the ninjas went to bed that night disappointed. The second day was just as quiet.

"Maybe he gave up?" Lee asked as they waited on the same part of the square on the third day.

They'd taken turns patrolling in and around the village, but the thief didn't appear again.

"No, I don't think so," Naruto said. "What about trying the markets? Maybe he got what he wanted and went to sell them? We could try. Kitami said today and tomorrow are the usual days the villagers go."

"Let's do it," Sai said, nodding. "It'll be a tough trip, but it's something we need to check out anyway. Three days to get to the market, right? If nothing happens there, we'll come back again and check things out."

Kitami agreed to take them. They loaded up a basket full of the Setsunasa plant, an herb with sharp thorns and little blue flowers. They headed for the village gates.

A few miles away from the village, Kitami's eyes suddenly glazed over, and he moved woodenly along a path that veered away from the main road.

Naruto frowned and started to call out his name, but Sai grabbed his arm, put a finger to his lips and mouthed, "Genjutsu."

They followed Kitami to a cave, where the man dropped the basket and started a bizarre ritual.

He shook an imaginary person's hand and bowed.

"Yes, sir." Kitami said. "Everything's in there. The plants are all fresh."

He nodded as if agreeing, but the three didn't see or hear anyone talking.

"Yes, that's a fair price. No need to haggle."

He held out his outstretched palm and closed his hand over nothing.

Kitami then put his hand into his pocket as if to drop something in it.

"Thank you, sir," he said again into the empty cave. "It was a pleasure doing business with you."

He turned, leaving the Setsunasa plants where he'd left them. He was heading back to the mouth of the cave. But before he reached the entrance, he dropped to the ground.

Naruto rushed over. "Kitami!" he said as he shook the man. Kitami didn't wake.

Sai looked him over and around the cave. They couldn't find traces of the thief.

"So it's an illusion. That's how the thief is getting the money," he said.

Lee came up to them. "Kitami's out. Should we wake him up? If he's under—"

A sudden explosion blew Lee's next words away. The three found themselves in the air, trying to right themselves. Naruto cursed himself for his inattention, even as he switched into beast mode and aimed a blast at the direction where he saw a quick flash of brown. As his vision crystalized, he saw the thief preparing to jump up.

Naruto didn't know what made him do it, but he suddenly yelled out, "Uzumaki!"

It startled the thief momentarily as he looked at Naruto in surprise—but it was enough for Lee. With movements so quick, he brought his foot whizzing down on the man's head, knocking him unconscious. He fell to the ground with a loud thud. Sai was by his side in an instant, reaching for his hands with rope.

They tied him up as carefully as they could, hands apart, each bound to a separate branch of a tree. They needed to prevent him from making hand seals for escape. After checking carefully for weapons and finding none, they hid his air tank away from his view. The tank didn't look dangerous, but the extra precaution was necessary.