Chapter 7

The two boys didn't make it to the train tracks

The two boys didn't make it to the train tracks. Instead, they settled for Danny's parked car—hidden behind Lincoln High School. Most of the students were congregating around the front entrance, all of whom were soaking wet, like Danny and Evan. Nobody would've exited through the back doors, and even if they did, the two boys were too distracted to care.

Evan was shaking out his damp hair when he heard a click. Looking up, he saw Danny lounging in the backseat with his Polaroid camera. An instant photo came out of the bottom, and the tan boy grabbed it, waiting for the image to appear on the film.

"Aren't I supposed to be the one taking photos of you?" Evan asked. He was trying to take off his formal jacket, but Danny's car gave him minimal space to move.

Danny was slouched, but he still shook his head.

"You're prettier to look at," he told Evan, bringing the camera up to his eye again. He had already stripped down to his sleeveless, white undershirt.

Click.

Evan yanked his bowtie loose and tossed it aside, climbing over the seats to perch on top of Danny.

"I disagree," Evan said, taking the camera away from the muscular boy and pointing the lens at his face.

Click.

"I thought you said you were only going to take pictures of me if I was smiling," Danny recalled.

"You're smiling on the inside," Evan replied, tilting slightly to be in the frame with Danny.

Click.

Danny shielded the lens with the palm of his hand, lowering the camera. Evan took the hint and leaned forward for a kiss. When he slid his fingers into Danny's hair, he could feel the sticky, watered-down gel coating the tangled strands. Calloused fingers soon crept up to Evan's collar and unfastened his white dress shirt. The fabric was still wet from running through the fire sprinklers, but Danny didn't seem to mind as he made his way down the line of buttons.

"Maybe I should go find my sister," Evan tapered off to provoke a reaction from Danny.

"Hell no, Conejito," Danny smirked, anchoring his hands on either side of Evan's waist. "I'm not letting you go anywhere."

Evan was satisfied with that response, so he kissed him once more as Danny continued to toy with the buttons on his shirt. When he finally had the whole front open, he pulled down one sleeve just enough to expose Evan's left shoulder. Evan's skin pebbled as Danny skimmed his lips over the delicate underlining of his collarbone and then planted a kiss right on the edge of the protruding structure. He let his mouth lazily dip down to the softer areas around his underarm, but then dragged his attention up to the apex of his shoulder—pecking it once like a love-language monogram.

Evan watched Danny's leisurely movements with a striking sense of awe. He didn't think Danny could be so gentle—so doting. He had once been sharp to the touch, but now, he had seemed to file away his defensive exterior.