Eremin - Human Nature ♡

So a little birdie told me that Isayama's favorite relationship is Eremin, and trust me, HE'S GOT IT IN SPADES WITH THIS SHIP. 

The sky's colors were beyond anything they had seen in months. The wind swayed in one direction, calm, unfeared, exactly as Armin described it to his friends. Maybe some things could be so pleasant it'd make Eren forget the bitterness of his loss in a world so apart from humanity.

There was not much to do without the likes of Levi or Hange ushering them around. Since activity outside the walls was no longer an option, Sasha and Connie resorted to scavenging within a mile's range of their quarters, where Mikasa and Christa dusted and mopped without envying who got to leave and who didn't. Jean, Eren, and Armin never blanked out, always making sure no one was doing something unjust like lashing out or saying the wrong thing. Every day, there was something to do, but it didn't keep Eren from listening to his inner self.

It had already been a couple of weeks without any question about it. But even under all this uncertainty, after dinners, Armin and Eren would seek the harmless comfort in reading under the moonlight, undisturbed, unfeared, calm, just as Eren felt with his best friend.

"So, did you find anything interesting this week?"

"Hange sent me this binder she found in a library in Trost; it talks about more and more animals every page you go through," the blonde smiled vastly, bringing a load of study onto his lap. "Now, I promised her I would send it back by the end of this week in case the Corps had to use it for any reason, so... maybe we'll just skim through it."

"I could go all night." Eren chuckled a bit. "Under what context do they need it?"

Armin didn't know either, and honestly, he was afraid to ask. "There's no other way to put this but if we keep these records of outside knowledge, we might be accused of trying to..." the boy warded off unlucky feelings.

"Leave the walls?" Eren almost made the blond shudder. He was so bold, yet so tirelessly invested in Armin's ideas that gave him bottles and bottles of hope. "Even if that does happen, we may have to advise the Scouts to come out of their shell with all this AWOL nonsense. You can't trust any book with words, let alone pictures nowadays, can you?" he threw slight gloom.

"Oh, Eren," his buoyant friend gave en eye-roll as Eren had exaggerated. "Do you want to read it with me or not?"

The brunet couldn't resist, even with crossed arms, knowing that Armin could confront his dismissiveness any time he wanted. "Yes! But not too fast!"

"Mhm!" Armin nodded, stationing the book between them and flipping to the author's note. "It says that this book might have been evaluated at a later date or checked for inaccuracies by other people who traveled beyond the walls. Look," he pointed at side notes, "Some articles here were also recorded by actual soldiers and MPs who were trying to build a new sort of scientific industry." the blond read in fascination. "A secret society within the walls."

"So this book was somehow all false at one point?"

"Well, you have to remember that evolution is on a constant shift, and nature always has to have a balance. To do so, the world is constantly changing and reshaping itself to be the best it can be." the blond affirmed, "Because of that, scientists on the run take what they can get." he smiled lightly, "They don't mention that in books."

"It must take a lifetime to explore this much if it means on a never-ending marathon of... nature and stuff." Eren mused.

"Us humans assume a lot of things. It's part of our existence, Eren. And for this book to jump to conclusions about nature, then correct itself continuously, is incredible. Up until now, when we think about evolution, we see the mistakes that allowed for even more discoveries to be made. It's the way the scientific method works."