Chapter 2

I once read a Pablo Neruda quote that said "I love you as one loves certain dark things". Now, I don't know about love but I was certainly intrigued by this dark, mysterious forest. All logic was thrown out the window when I thought of the forest, which is like love I suppose. When you are in love your mind falls asleep and your heart awakens.

In the forest the trees seemed to intertwine like misshapen puzzle pieces and block out the sun. Maybe it was the universe warning me. Maybe the darkness was supposed to frighten me off, but I had never really been that afraid of the dark.

So after another dreary day of school I almost sprinted home. Today was Friday, there was no school tomorrow. But I was more excited about my expedition.

I quickly made and ate a cheese sandwich as soon as I arrived home and started to pack my backpack. I grabbed my torch, water bottle and a few other essentials.

I sent a message to Sarah asking her to come over. Once she was here I told her my plan. "No way! We are not going into that forest!" Sarah said with her arms crossed.

"Oh come on! You sound like my mother." I said. "Because she's right. The forest is dangerous." she said.

"I'm going with or without you so make a decision." I said. I am done with being scared of the forest, I am done with the unknown. I am going to find out what is in that forest.

"I cannot believe you forced me to come into the forest with you." Sarah muttered as I closed my gate. "I did not force you, I simply gave you a choice." I explained.

"Well of course I was going to come with. What kind of best friend would I be if I let you go forward with stupid ideas alone?" Sarah said, smiling slightly.

We arrived at the edge of the forest and we both stopped. " This it!" I said. "This it." Sarah murmured.

"Well come on scaredy-cat." I said marching into the tangle of trees. Sarah scrambled after me, complaining that the low hanging tree branches were messing up her hair.

I sighed; my traveling companion is a certified wimp. Then, suddenly, the low hanging branches stopped, and we stepped out of the forest's barrier and into the shadowy depths of the forest.

The sun certainly did not help with light seeing as the trees blocked most of its rays. A few bright patches were dotted here and there, but there was very little to fight off the darkness threatening to choke us.

"This was a stupid idea, we should go back." Sarah said tugging on my my arm. A sound floated from deeper in the forest. It sounded like someone humming a tune. "We are not going anywhere." I said walking off in the direction of the humming. Sarah sighed and trudged after me.

We walked quietly for a few minutes following the humming, which Sarah claimed she could not hear.

"Are you feeling okay?" she asked scrambling up a fallen tree. I was already on top of it and I lifted her up. "I swear I heard humming coming from here." I said.

"You did, which is quite peculiar indeed." a voice said from behind us. Sarah screamed and fell backwards off of the log. Usually I would laugh when she fell over, but this time she pulled me down with her. We both fell onto our backs, hard.

I moaned in pain and arched my back. Sarah was softly crying beside me. I slowly got to my feet, grinding my teeth together to stop myself from crying out.

"Sarah, are you okay?" I asked. She shook her head and was pointing with her one hand at the other. I had not noticed but her left hand was twisted underneath her. She must have fallen on to it.

The person who had scared us vanished from my mind. All I could think of was Sarah. I needed to help her.

I reached into my backpack and produced a first aid kit. "Sarah, you need to get up." I said slowly bending down. My back screamed in protest, which I ignored. I placed my arms around her and slowly lifted her so she could sit up.