2020 malibu

"I GOT YOU A JOB!"

A frown slid onto Karolina's face upon entering her house and hearing her sister's cheer. "What? Where?"

Amy danced over to her, grinning. "The golf course over on Figure Eight. Rose Cameron came into the ER today asking about a mole, she thought it could be skin cancer, but it wasn't-" She shook her brown head. "But that's beside the point. Anyway, she mentioned that one of their golf caddies moved away for college a few weeks ago, and I told her you'd be perfect!"

Great. That's just what she wanted- to have to wait hand and foot on the Kooks. Amy seemed to notice she was less than enthused, and pinched her cheek, pouting her lips out. "Aw, you poor baby. It'll suck, but it pays good! Also, you start in an hour, get dressed." She patted her head.

Groaning, Karolina knew it would do no good to argue. She trudged to her room and scrounged around for a nicer outfit. She figured they would have a uniform for her when she arrived, so she didn't think too hard about it.

Amy was going to work as well, so she dropped her off at the country club on her way. The manager showed her the basics (what more was there to learn besides how to pick up the bag and set it down?), and, as she'd guessed, handed her a white miniskirt and a light blue polo with the name of the facility embroidered on the breast. She was immediately shoved onto the course to wait for the next members to show up. Anxiety ridden already, Karolina fought off every instinct telling her to ditch when she spotted the two she would be caddying for.

"Well, well, well," sneered Rafe Cameron, sliding a hand through his greased up hair, "Karolina Scott." He smacked the chest of the boy standing next to him, who happened to be- oh, great- Topper. "I gotta say, you look pretty hot in that skirt, you know. For a Pogue." She took a deep breath, fighting off a response. "Say, how'd you get in here anyway? I don't think you're a member," Rafe grinned.

"Your step mommy recommended me," Karolina muttered, picking up the golf bag he dropped at her feet and shoving it onto the cart. She knew he was still watching her, so she tugged down the back of her skirt, suddenly very self-conscious.

"What can I say," he curled his lip up into another grotesque smile. Rafe glanced back at Topper. "She knows what I like."

Karolina swallowed thickly, intimidated by his predatory gaze, and handed him the key to the golf cart. "You guys ride, I'll walk." They didn't argue, climbing into the cart and taking off to the first hole. Karolina trailed behind, thinking about how the day could not possibly get any worse.

Surprisingly, Rafe and Topper didn't talk to her much after their initial interaction, expect to maybe order her to grab a different club or to put one away. She was only slightly miserable, until Rafe decided to bring up her friends, which instantly got her angry. "You know, you might could make your way to the Figure Eight if you stopped hanging out with those other Pogues," he commented, lining up his shot. He licked his lips, looking over to where she had her hands on her hips. "Give me a time, babygirl, and you can hang out with me at Tannyhill. I'll show you what a real man can do."

"A real man?" Karolina almost laughed. "You mean a coke addict with daddy issues?"

Rafe laughed loudly, swinging his club and sending the ball right on the edge of the lake, buried in the bushes. "Bring me another ball, won't you, sweetheart?" He winked, watching as she stalked over to the cart. She began to dig for another ball in the side pocket of his bag, as he continued rambling, "Seriously, though. You think that little nerd Pope can treat you right? O-or John B? God forbid you get mixed up with that psychopath JJ-"

Blood rushed into her ears, and she felt her cheeks heat up. Pulling a ball from the bag, she tossed it down a few feet from Rafe angrily. He just laughed, pointing his club at the ball. "Nah, nah, that won't get you tips, Scott. Pick it up."