the right thing

KIARA INVITED THEM ALL TO HER FAMILY'S RESTAURANT, but Karolina declined

KIARA INVITED THEM ALL TO HER FAMILY'S RESTAURANT, but Karolina declined. Her sister was blowing up her phone like crazy, demanding to know where she was. John B dropped Karolina off at her house and backed out of the driveway without another word. Karolina fought off an eye roll at his dramatics- he was clearly just as mad at her as she was at him.

Amy was sitting at the kitchen table when she walked in, still in her pajamas from the night before. Karolina could tell she was in trouble the moment Amy's gaze settled on her. Eyebrows furrowed angrily, Amy stood immediately. "Where have you been?"

"With my friends," the blonde replied, closing the door behind her. The air was still and hot in the house, adding more tension to the situation. "I have to go soon, they're waiting on me," she lied, "Can I borrow your car?" Karolina kept her head low as she walked past Amy to the other side of the kitchen. Her sister stepped in front, blocking her path. "I don't think so, Karolina" Amy muttered quickly, "We need to have a talk."

Karolina's chest burned. "About what?" she spat, irritated. Her day had been horrible enough, she didn't need Amy suddenly deciding to throw in her input. "Drop the attitude. What has gotten into you lately?" Amy scoffed, hands settling on her hips, "This is not the Karolina I know. My little sister would not get fired from her job on the first day." Huffing, Karolina brushed past her, feeling a rush of emotion building up in her throat. "I know you and your friends have been getting into fights, and I know they're the reason you keep disappearing for days on end." She heard Amy turn to allow her gaze to follow. Karolina bit down on her cheek.

"I don't have time for this-"

"No, no, no, you're going to make time." Amy gave her a stern look. "I know you left the house, even after I told you to stay here. I know all about your escapades with JJ, and I know it has something to do with how John B ended up in the emergency room. What is going on, Karolina?"

"Nothing is going on!" the blonde cried, whirling on her sister exasperatedly. That was the biggest lie she had told all day- everything was going on. "I have to go, Amy." Her gaze met Amy's, and she was shocked at the concern written there. Tears glittered on Amy's lashline; something else was wrong.

"Absolutely not. I can't let you continue down this road," Amy said, lip trembling. "I'll look and find you another job. Try not to get fired this time." She turned away, saying, "And until then, you're staying here. I don't want to see you with those friends, not until I say you can."

"What?" Karolina gaped, her jaw dropped. "Amy, you can't-"

"I can, and I did. I've tried to let you be on your own, Lina, but I see how you're acting, and I know where this road leads." Karolina reeled; what had she done that was so different? What made Amy turn on her so suddenly? She wanted to scream, but how could she berate the one person who was always on her side, who had sacrificed so much to give her a decent life? "Amy..." she tried, her voice tight, pleading.