Chapter 5: My Fault

Makash leaned against the side of the door to the cell, watching us with a smile. "I was halfway to the Coupling when I realized I forgot something. What luck that I came back!" He bellowed a laugh that shook me to my core.

Makash rounded on Niako, who stumbled back until his shoulders thumped the wall. "Dear little brother, how much trouble you cause. This time, I am afraid you have gone too far."

"Makash, I didn't—"

Makash shot out a hand, and Niako cut off with a flinch, but the hand only hit the wall beside Niako's head. His smile broadened. "Keys, please."

I wasn't sure how a voice could simultaneously be so pleasant and so chilling.

Niako reached a fumbling hand into his pocket and held up the keychain, eyes downcast.

Makash flipped through the keys, looping them over the chain one at a time until he reached the lone gleam of silver. "Ah, here it is. It's been a while, hasn't it? You must have forgotten your last lesson. Don't worry—I'm a patient teacher." His smile grew still larger, distorting his face into something that was no longer pleasant at all.

Niako whimpered, sounding more like a kicked dog than the arrogant boy I knew.

Guilt stabbed through my chest. I drew myself to my feet and took one shaky step toward Makash. "This was my idea."

Makash looked over his shoulder at me, and his smile softened. "Forgive me, Your Highness, but I am puzzled. How did you know where to find the keys?" He jangled the keychain softly.

I blinked at the keys. "I forced Niako to help me."

Makash frowned. "Forced him? Then where is your knife?"

"I..." I shot a glance at Niako, who shook his head, not meeting my eyes. "I don't have a knife, but it was my fault."

"No, no, Your Highness," he said gently. "A prince is never at fault." Then he turned back to Niako. "Well, little brother, Trebalda is not here to protect you anymore. I hope you are ready to beg."

"Toom, get out of here," said Niako, voice very quiet.

Makash's fingers curled lazily around Niako's neck. "That's not how you speak to your prince. If Prince Toom wants to come watch, he is more than welcome."

Come watch? My gut did a nasty flip. "Wait, I don't—"

"I said get out!" This time, Niako's voice was razor sharp.

With one more desperate glance at Niako and at Copper, I ducked my head and staggered out of the room.

Each room appeared even more ghastly in light of what I had just seen, and it was all I could do to keep from shaking. When I finally reached the first family room we had entered, I stopped for a moment, grasping the back of one of the stiff armchairs as I drew in a few shaky breaths. Then I pushed through the doorway.

The six adults still seated at the table looked up to see me, though the Claimed kept their eyes down. "Toom," said my father, voice as stiff as his shoulders. "What good timing. We were just finishing up." He looked behind me and frowned. "Where is Niako?"

"He is with Makash." I could hear the tremor in my own voice, and I waited for someone to ask me more questions. No one did.

"Go wait outside with Yuri and Stro. I'll be out in just a minute."

I scanned the bland, forced smiles around the room. Astoria was the only one who appeared at ease, elbow propped on the table and chalice dangling from her hand.

Though Niako shared nearly all of her features, she suddenly resembled Makash.

"Toom?" said my father, and I realized I was frozen in place, breathing hard.