Chapter 24: Kiss Me

Never had I seen anything quite like the Tribe of Trebalda.

I had wondered initially how the tribe would tame such wild land, but when the horses trotted past the archers' ridge and into the village, I realized the mistake in my way of thinking. Trebalda's tribe had not bothered to tame the lands.

They used them.

Rocky ridges provided the structure for terrace farms. Boulders formed the walls of houses. Snorting pigs lumbered through a large natural pit, and blackened firewood filled smaller ones. Between pine trees, fish and goat meat hung from ropes.

No sooner had we dismounted than a small man with belligerent tufts of white hair hobbled toward us. "Chief Trebalda, the Bund representative arrived last night, and she is growing quite impatient to meet with you."

"Thank you, Mortimus," said Trebalda. Then she glanced back at us. "Lan, bring Niako to Physician Mahona's home. Alaski, take Toom to Finny." And before anyone could respond, she swiveled on her heel and trotted away.

Alaski nodded at me. "If you want to see your sister, follow me."

With one last fleeting glance at the cart where Niako lay, I followed Alaski.

Activity bustled around us as we walked. Women, men, and some children moved around purposefully with barely a glance at us, stringing up fish, chopping down trees, rolling boulders, and feeding the pigs. Accents from all around Najila mingled in chaotic harmony.

"Everyone seems busy," I commented.

Alaski chuckled. "The Tribe of Trebalda was not exactly the paradise I expected. I've worked harder and longer here than I did as a slave."

"Then some here must feel resentment?"

She slowed her pace to glance back at me, eyebrows raised. "Resentment? Not possible. Chief Trebalda is kind and just, and she works harder and longer than anyone."

Before I could respond, Alaski picked up the pace again, weaving through the industrious commotion with confidence. Just as she began to cut to the left, she jerked to a halt and swept up a hand to point off to the right.

"It seems Finny is with her orphan gang," she said.

I turned in the indicated direction. A group of small children stood in a circle, heads tilted up toward a taller child in the middle. Though I could not hear her words, I saw the sweeping gestures of her arms and dramatic tilts of her head. When her fist pumped toward the sky and her head dropped toward her chin, several children took a few stilted steps closer, their eyes widening.

My heart spilled over with a rush of affection, and an almost painful smile stretched my face. "Finny."

Though my voice was quiet, the sound apparently traveled, since at that very moment, Finny turned to look right at me. For a moment, she stood completely frozen. Then she pivoted toward me and began to walk. Trot. Jog. Sprint.

And her body collided with mine hard enough to knock the breath from me.

For a long moment, I just held her to me, reveling in the feeling of her body pressed against mine. So solid. So full of life. When I finally found my voice, my words were choked.

"How... how was your trip here?"

She released me to take a step back, raising her eyebrows. "How was my trip? Oh, fantastic. Being kidnapped is so much fun."

"Alright, point taken. But did Ruck treat you alright?"

She propped one fist on a jutted hip. "He was fine. I spent the first day telling him how much I hated him, and how I hoped he would die and go burn in the seventh hell. He said 'hmm' a lot. Then at some point, I stopped hating him."