From A Hero To A Beast

Collecting anything that reminded him of his family, Zeral fervently searched the ruins. He soon found a necklace buried under rocks, and he picked it up, starting to smile as he remembered that it belonged to his (now dead) wife, Jane.

"Oh, thanks." Zeral smiled and placed the necklace around her neck. "This is for you, my love." She smiled back at him and muttered, "It's so beautiful..."

Zeral grabbed her hands and said, "Nothing is more beautiful than you."

She began to kiss him and then whispered to him, "I love you." (back to the present)

Zeral touched his lips to the top of the necklace, cooing, "Don't worry, I will give it to you when I meet you again."

Then he looked to the sky and began screaming, "I WILL!!... I SWEAR!!... I WILL FIND AWAY TO REACH YOU...YOU HEAR ME? I WILL COME TO YOU!" He shoved the necklace in his pocket and left the house, starting to walk away from the city of Bartak.

He left the place that gave him precious memories about his past life when he was a lovely person, and all the people loved him.

"Hail to our beloved warrior, who fought for the king!" Everyone clapped their hands as he rode his horse into the town, the confident air that only a hero could have to surround him. They welcomed him back, telling him, "You are the hero of the city!" The hero of Bartak - that's what they called him.

Kids looked up to him as if he were a superhero from a comic book. He came down off his steed, raising his sword and announcing, "I'm back to you, my lovely hometown, the King David the 7th of Antorya gives you all his regards."

He went to the church of the city (as he walked past it in the present, leaving the city) to meet the priest and tell him about his victory under the king commands; a war against another kingdom and how God helped him.

"My dear father, I'm back home thanks to you and the other's prayers."

The priest smiled warmly. "Oh, welcome home, my son, thank God you are as fine as you were the last time I saw you."

Zeral replied, "Same, I'm glad that you two are okay, so yes: thank God that I'm back alive after what I saw in that terrible war!"

The priest nodded solemnly. "Yes I heard, it was vicious, and many died. But yet, here you are alive and well, not even scratch on your face. You did well, my son."

Zeral answered proudly, "Yes, I did, and this is my job. I will do my best as a warrior for this kingdom; my blood is the blood of this kingdom; I will fight until the end for it, and you, my people." He gestured to all citizens of Bartak, who began to chant his name, the real name of Zeral which even he forgot.

After he got a kiss on the forehead from the priest, he went home to his wife and his son, Johnny, who was waiting for his father for a long time. As he saw him, he came jumping to the warrior while crying, "Dad, I missed you."

Zeral hugged his son tight. "You don't know how much I missed you too, and you're the reason why I never give up fighting. So that I can see you and your mother again."

Then both spent their day talking about everything Zeral missed when he left to fight (back to the present) Zeral walking with tears in eyes and smile in the face after he remembered those moments with his family but shortly after he left the dead city of Bartak.

He got interrupted by few soldiers riding their horses they saw him going in the road out from the city of Bartak, so they decided to go and check on him, so the leader of soldiers start asking Zeral as they are getting near to him with raising their swords

"Hey you, stranger what are you doing here?"

Zeral didn't say anything and kept walking then the Leader re-asking him again "Hey, are you a dumb? I'm talking to you, so answer me, what are you doing here?"

Another soldier says "Stranger, don't you know monsters are crawling near this dead city? so what are you doing here alone?"

Zeral looked to them and said "It's not your business", and he keeps marching forward

The leader yells at Zeral "How dare you to say this to one of my soldiers? We can't let you walk away without giving us answers."

Zeral says "Mhm, okay good luck" as he ignored the leader words and keep moving so the leader getting mad at Zeral so order the soldiers to stop Zeral so when they try to get in his way, he quit and then with a smile in the face he says

"I'm hungry, and I want some food" then a soldier asks him "What? Are you hungry? who cares about if you hungry or no, you have to stop and answer us, or we will kill you" the other soldier add to that "Yes that's right" then Zeral start laughing

"hahaha, no one cares if I'm hungry or no after all no one sees me eating you one by one, you humans are so delicious after all."

The soldiers were shocked from hearing that then the leader himself says this "Don't let him fool you, he is not a monster as you all see, he is a fucking human with a death wish so how about we make that wish true" then the other soldiers start laughing "Hahaha Hell Yeah!"

But Zeral interrupted them saying "I'm not a monster, yes that's right as you see I'm not an ugly as them, but I'm not human" then in one second with a quick move he stabbed the leader chest with his bare hands taking out his heart as all soldiers looking with a shock...

Zeral pull out the soldier's leader's heart from his chest then with a smile he says "Mhm, looks delicious, isn't it? Who wants to try it? Before getting cold" referring to the heat of the heart as it beating in his hands, then he says "no one wants some? alright then"

He squashes the heart by his hands and eats it all as he was laughing and saying "So delicious, it's better than my wife food so who is next?"

The soldiers were in entirely shocked and stunned from that terrifying view as blood coming out from his mouth while he is leaking it and smiling to their faces.

One of the soldiers says "I never see someone move with this pace in my life, is he even human?" the other soldier add to that "I can't believe it, what the hell is this?" the other one says "No, no no we can't fight this monster, he is far from us, let's run."

Zeral says "I said I'm not a monster and I'm not human, I don't care what I am so here is the deal, you have two options whether to try and kill me, or I will kill you all" as Zeral taking his blade out.

One of the soldiers says "Let's kill him and avenge our leader" the other one yells "Hell No, we can't defeat him" and the coward soldier says "Please let's run from him, or we all will die"

Zeral take his sword and sent it flying straight to that coward soldier head killing him instantly then he says "Shut up, This is a war, and in war, you never leave it without a fight so come on soldiers of Antorya come and kill me now, I will fight you without a blade."

One of the soldiers asks "No way, he killed him like that, damn it, but you have another sword in your back so?"

Zeral replies "Well, that sword is special. I won't use it against ordinary humans as you so come, let's dance."

Then, he starts running so fast and using his bare hands to savagely killing everyone as he is eating their meat by his hands cutting them to small pieces and eat it as someone eating meat after been kept hungry for weeks. Still, Zeral was smiling while he is eating them

Zeral using his hands as a weapon while other soldiers fighting him with their swords but with no success as Zeral killing them one by one but by the noise of this fight here comes something without an invitation to join to the killing spree, a creature that happy to hear there is human food which is a gigantic bear coming from the near forest for one thing and it is to eat everyone

But is this gigantic bear going to be the predator or the prey to Zeral and the soldiers?

The end.