I - Chapter 4 "Desert Sand"

"don't walk in front of me, I may not follow

don't walk behind me, I may not lead

just walk beside me and be my friend"

_Albert Camus

***********************************************

             What are friends? Are they someone who knows about you and still like you? There goes the old saying. Is it possible that you like someone before you know them? Would that feeling diminished the moment you know them little by little, the moment you got closer? Or does it remains the same from the first time you've met?

"Forte! Louder! Louder!"

             Mr. Tim our director in glee club demanded, he forced us to gave ourselves fully into the song. It was a choral arrangement of Can't Buy me Love by the Beatles. It was a nice song, nice beat and all but I'm not sure if money really can't buy love. I mean lots of girls in higher years hang out with rich dudes, maybe it's just because it was not love, or maybe it's a different kind of love or I don't know. Fuck do I know about love. I never knew anything at that age. One thing I know, my mom loves me but I didn't pay a single dime for it.

           It was late afternoon I took the late bus again, same ramshackle bus with old blue linoleum seats. Sunbeams swept through the window as tired kids including myself settled in our usual seats, unconsciously predetermined seats. I didn't care that much who went inside, I'd keep my same old habit looking out the window while waiting to leave... all of the sudden my mood changed, the dust shifted a little bit and right before my eyes there he was entering the stairs of the bus, up and up towards my direction, Boris. I wondered why was he late too? Why was he in the later school bus? Did he joined a club too? If so then what club?

           There he was coming towards me with his waving hair and slight sarcastic smile as he looked at me. I thought he would tease me again like the other day after he saved me and I wasn't mistaken, he shuffled and pushed me me towards the window side so that he could take the aisle seat, what a rude retard I thought yet I smiled.

"ha! Harry Potter!" he was taunting me again

"fuck you" I said listlessly

"sissy boy eh!?" with his sarcastic smile

"If you'll call me again like that I'll kill you!"

             He looked away and was silent, I was silent for like ten seconds then I turned my head and said

"where's your skates?"

"i left it today, me tired, how are yah? " Boris asked and looked straight into my eyes.

              I'd stop for a second, I was about to smile but I tried to hide it till left me a faint smile, I was happy knowing that he was concern about me and about what happened the day before.

"i'm good, thank you for helping me the other day"

"yah, don't mention it!, I've beaten those thugs before taught them a lesson"

"ahh, so they picked on you too?!"

"the day before you, but you didn't taught them lesson! Yah didn't fought them yah sis... oppsss... sarreh! Hahaha"

               He looked high and wasted, I bet he was smoking somewhere in the premises minutes before, and from what he'd told I came to realize why those chavs were running when he came, basically he kicked their asses the day before. What a coincidence, I thought that maybe fate decided that he would helped me and we would knew each other.