I - Chapter 6 "Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out"

Haply I think on thee, and then my state,

Like to the lark at break of day arising From sullen earth sings hymns at heaven's gate; For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings

That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

_Shakespeare, Sonnet 29

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                                                         I

    The light was always ahead of the sun as the dessert horizon turned red before cascades of rays took over, I woke up while Boris was grinding his teeth, he was hammered and sloshed as if he drank before the apocalypse. I'd decided not to woke him up and left the premises and went directly to school, but before that I decided to call Xandra or my dad's home phone number, revealing them the reason why I didn't went home the night before, surely they wouldn't mind, I thought they would even loved it that I am not hanging out frequently in their turf.

     I'd checked the kitchen for a quick bite and to my surprise I saw some fresh bread, egg, and bacon stashed in the lowest drawers of the fridge, I thought I would fixed for myself and Boris, a nice gesture when he woke up. I made and fixed it quick thinking I could leave as soon before he woke up, I reckoned if Boris would saw me he would probably try to convinced me to skipped school, clearly I wouldn't do it so I ate quickly.

     I was halfway when suddenly there was a commotion from the door, Boris half asleep came mumbling with dried saliva round his mouth.

"why you didn't wake me up?"

"I didn't want to disturb your dreams" I said with half grin. I didn't want him to know that I'm I wanted to bugger off before quickly.

"nicceeeeeee!" Boris yelled with a hint of sarcasm as if I was his servant.

"I made these for the two of us, hop in Sire!" I replied with a hint of submissive sarcasm, I'd learned that in this life I need to reflect other people's banter, in that way I would never be offended to anyone's provocation.

      Boris took some toast and kept looking towards the window, certainly I kept quiet at that time, who knows what was he thinking, he was just risen up, I didn't want to engage in something that might provoked him and would prevent me from going to school. There was something about his aura, I meant it in a beautiful strange way, curly hairs covered his right eye that made him looked like a pirate captain, his pale skin reflected the lights around him vividly as if he was a white wall. He certainly was skinny but not in a malnourished way, the thing that some singers in 'straight edge' bands looked like. The way he ate was crass in a somewhat foppish way, but carefree with a sense that he had full control whatever shitty things that might happened, he would still certainly enjoy his food. I sensed his scent, his natural odor mixed with burnt cigarettes, alcohol in a more, more intense way like that when I first met him. It was just days before but it felt light years away, that morning I was his friend.

"oi! wanna skip school today?" he said as expected.

"are you serious? You can do whatever you want but don't drag me into it" I said in a firm tone like no one could change my conviction. Boris shrugged and made a mischievous smile like he's up to something and said,

"oh yah, okay then, me go to school with you today but promise yah will be here tonight?"

"err, I guess" I said, It's very difficult to hide my feelings, part of me was eager to spend another night with him in his darkened crummy domicile. But I reckoned I need to drop home after school to get some clothes and to checked on Larry (my dad) and Xandra, they probably wouldn't care that much if would be tucked away all the time from their presence.