01

Niall napping was truly a God send, Harley was able to do as she please around the house whether it be baking or cleaning, it gave her the freedom to do so. Bill often joked about how much sleep Niall got because he was 'so much like his mother' and could sleep for England. She was just wiping down the side after icing a batch of shortcake biscuits when Molly entered the house.

"Afternoon, Harley," she greeted, looking around the room, "where is Niall?"

"Napping," Said Harley nonchalantly and within seconds her mother-in-law was carrying Niall down the stairs, cooing at him with yet another knitted toy.

Harley took a deep breath, tossing the rag into the washing machine and she took of her apron, "he's going to have more toys than hairs on his head by the time he's even one," she chuckled but it was rather forced.

Molly grinned, "nothing wrong with that, I love making them for him and he can't complain about my knitting yet so I'll get it in as much as I can while he is still a tiny tot! I have a pair of knitted dungarees on the go at the moment, I'm also making a matching pair for Teddy, them two seem like the best of friends already."

"They are."

"Oh dear, you sound so tired, why don't you go lay down for a while and I'll mind Niall. Go on, we'll be fine." She encourage and practically ushered Harley up the stairs. Harley wasn't going to say no to a nap and let her mother-in-law tell her what to do. After all, Molly has had seven of her own kids and Merlin knows how many honorary children to know what is best.

When Harley got into her bedroom she found an abundance of toys on her bed gathered like a miniature knitted army. She scooped them up and tossed them into the basket by the door and collapsed on the bed. Her breathing was heavy and so were her eyelids as soon as her head hit the soft puffy pillow. She wrapped herself within the blanket and snuggled down into the bed further and let sleep consume her.

Bill came home from work about an hour or so later and was greeted by his mother who was playing with Niall and some toys. He tossed his keys onto the mantle piece and ran a hand through his hair. "Where's, Harls?" He asked his mother.

"She's in bed, poor love needed some sleep. Is she sleeping at night?" Molly asked as her son picked up Niall and kissed his head.

"She's a little restless but if I remember right so were you when Gin and Ron were babies." He told her, bouncing Niall gently, "have you missed me Nialler?"

Niall giggled and clapped his hands together. Niall then found his father's hair and started to play with it. Bill took his little hands and pulled them away from his hair and Molly tossed him a little toy to replace his hair. Niall squished the toy and babbled some incoherent non-words. It was adorable to say the least and he adored his son so much.

"I have started to cook some chicken and vegetables, I hope you don't mind, I just figured it would take it off of Harley's responsibility."

Bill smiled gratefully, "thanks, mum. You're a gem."

"Well, what can I say? Niall is my first grand-baby and I know how difficult the the first baby can be as a new mother and you never really want to cook after the sleepless nights and the poop, wee and sick patrol during the day."

The pair shared a laugh as Harley traipsed down the stairs. She was rubbing her eyes and cheeks, not noticing Bill was home until he slithered his arm around her waist and held her closely. "Afternoon, sleepyhead." Bill smirked and kissed her head.

"Afternoon, thank you for doing that Molly."

"It's not bother honestly. I'll be childcare for you anytime, any day just send a patronus."

Harley nodded and pushed away from Bill to get a drink. She offered the other two a drink but Molly decided to leave and head home as Arthur would be coming home soon. Bill put Niall down to nap again and found Harley sorting out the dinner. "You okay?" He asked her, he could see she wasn't quite one hundred percent.

"Just tired, Will, that's all." She told him as she drained the boiled vegetables and plated them up. "You're mum is too good to us."

"She's just making a fuss, trust me she's been counting down the years until she can do what she's doing now, she's always wanted grandchildren and now she has Niall she's going a bit crazy and she certainly isn't forgetting Teddy either. She's baby-obsessed," he snickered.

"I can tell."

Harley dished up the rest of the dinner and the two ate together. Bill told her all about that days work and it made Harley yearn to be back out there working. To be honest, she had no choice in the maternity leave, it was chosen for her by Bill and Roger, rather than Harley and Bill discussing it. If she was being honest she would have preferred to have been the one to stay working because Bill was so much better at looking after Niall. It was natural to him but for her it was a struggle she didn't know what she was doing, if it was right and she really felt distant from Niall even when he was physically close to her. Parenting was not easy. Not one bit and this was only the start.